250GB Hard Drive
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 250GB Hard Drive

Unhappy 250GB Hard Drive

Perhaps I'm stupid, but I thought all hard drives were compatible with all computers. Do PC's have maximum hard drive sizes that they can support?
    I have an eMachines T1862 with a 60GB hard drive and I purchased a 250GB HD to put in, but someone told me that I should check it since some motherboards could only hold up to 127GB or some strange number--I've never heard of a limit on HD size before!
    Can someone please help?
    I cannot find any info on max size of HD for this model--even at the eMachines websites!!

There may be a limitation from the BIOS of the motherboard-how old a system is this? Plus, some operating systems have limits as well. Are you running XP with SP2?

There are many kind of HD limitation mostly from the bios. Check with your bios vendor.

There's a good chance your mobo manufacturer has a bios update that will allow for larger hard drives.

wow, I've never heard of limitations on Hard drives. I have a 2002 eMachines T1862 running XP home version. I appreciate all of your help--hope I can figure out how to use the new HD!

Maybe the best way is just to try. Hook the new drive up as a slave to your existing drive and go look at it in disk management. You get there in Xp by going to control panel/adminsitrative tools/computer management/disk management. You ought to be able to see the drive and its capacity there. You can partition it and format it there as well.

If you are running XP with Service Pack 2 and your BIOS is up to date, you probably ought to be okay, I would think.

OK, another stupid question. I've heard lots of people talk about partitioning the hd--what is the purpose if you are not planning to run different OS or using one partition for development or something?

also, how do i transfer all the info and programs from the old hd to the new one? it didn't come with any software?

Quote Originally Posted by mhinkle
    also, how do i transfer all the info and programs from the old hd to the new one? it didn't come with any software?
    What brand is the new one? Most manufacturers have a program to do that-you ought to be able to get it at the manufacturer's web site.

As to partitioning, some people create a smaller partition to hold the operating system and another to hold some programs and data. They say that makes it easier to reformat and re-install Windows. Others like a single large partition. It is probably a matter of what you like.

... I've heard lots of people talk about partitioning the hd--what is the purpose if you are not planning to run different OS or using one partition for development or something?
    Some comments at the following link,
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Talking Hard Drive Upgrade and other issues

Thanks to all for the help on all my issues!
    You guys are great--I appreciate the assistance.

I think I understand about the partition issue, but if you break it up that way, don't you run out of useable space faster? I mean that's the whole reason I'm upgrading the drive in the first place. But ultimately I understand and its probably a trade-off between speed and space so I think I get the concept.
    Next weekend, I'm going to install the drive and see what happens. From what I have been reading I should be ok unless the BIOS needs a firmware upgrade. The bad part is I can only work on it when I am at home on the weekends! I'll try to keep you posted with any lessons learned...

Go to the HD manufacturers web site and download their utility. Use it to transfer or "Clone" the 60 gig drive to the new drive.

Check the General Forum Links to Handy Info and the Various Downloads threads for Tips and Tools for the project.

Thanks!

Thread Information