Bluetooth Mouse not for Gaming
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Bluetooth Mouse not for Gaming

Hybrid View

Bluetooth Mouse not for Gaming

Ok, so when I built my new system (see gaming system in signature) I had mentioned that I was looking at the Microsoft Desktop Elite for Bluetooth. Many of you had made comments about the bluetooth mice not being good for gaming. Well, you were right. I ended up gettting another mouse. I got the Logitech MX518 gaming mouse. I love it. I like being able to adjust the tracking speed on the fly while gaming. I was dead set against going with a wired mouse, but I must say, that this logitech is awesome. I should have listened to you all. I do still love the keyboard though. It works great. Anyway jus thought I would pass that along.

SJRACER
    Gaming System
    ASUS A8N-E Motherboard
    Athlon X2 4200
    MGE Viper Case (Blue)
    Aspire 600W Power Supply
    2Gig PC3200 (OCZ)
    2 Wester Digital RAPTOR 74Gig (Raid 0)
    1 Maxtor 300Gig SATA
    EVGA 7800GT 256MB PCI Express
    Viewsonic VG720 17" LCD
    Plextor PX-716A DVD Burner

Main System
    ASUS A8V Deluxe
    Athlon 64 3500+
    Aspire Super X-Alien (Blue) Case
    1Gig PC3200 DDR
    Maxtor 100Gig SATA
    Maxtor 120Gig IDE
    XFX 6800GT 256MB Version
    Acer AL1715smd 17in LCD
    Plexwriter 52/24/52A
    Sony DVDRW

Is the 518 better then the G5? I too am looking for a mouse, this ms explorer wireless is good enough for me but the buttons wear out too quickly. I wanted to get the wireless G7, but the batteries only last 8 hours on a charge. thats rediculous, you must change out the betteries everyday. im used to going 2 months without worrying about screwin with batteries.

so the G5 seems like my best choice. ill look at the 518 too

How often am I wrong when I make a recommendation about hardware?

Krupted, you know the G7 is a rechargeable mouse, right?
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

from what ive been reading it doesnt seem to have a dock station, but rather a battery charger. you must change out batteries. am i wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by krupted
    from what ive been reading it doesnt seem to have a dock station, but rather a battery charger. you must change out batteries. am i wrong?

You are correct, no DOC.

Operating Time Up to two and a half days for average game play
    Logitech G7 2

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Im looking at the G5 right now, right in my price range.
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

even 2 and a half days is a joke.

the 518 seems just slightly behind the g5. 1600dpi compared to g5's 2000. 5mp/sec to 6mp/sec. i doubt it would matter much.

i like the 518 better because of the two side buttons. i cant seem to tell if it has a side-tilting wheel though, the g5 does for sure.

It's only my opinion and a matter of preference, but aside from HTPCs and such I don't see much use for wireless mice. I have two wired mice for my systems, and I have set up the wires so 99% of the time they aren't an annoyance when gaming. However, I'm not an uber-l33t FPS player, so maybe I just don't get it

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

I like the 518. The only thing I miss is the side to side scrolling. This wheel does not do it like my old mouse. The bluetooth was great in windows, but just not so good for gaming. It was choppy. I love being able to adjust the sensitivity on the fly. It is great during gaming. For instance, as a sniper zoomed in, turn it down for slow accurate movement, then turn it back up when you are on the go. I have never used the G5, but looking at the specs, it is very similar. With the 518, you can set up the software for 5 different levels of sensitivity. If you go with the G5, let us know how it is.

SJRACER
    Gaming System
    ASUS A8N-E Motherboard
    Athlon X2 4200
    MGE Viper Case (Blue)
    Aspire 600W Power Supply
    2Gig PC3200 (OCZ)
    2 Wester Digital RAPTOR 74Gig (Raid 0)
    1 Maxtor 300Gig SATA
    EVGA 7800GT 256MB PCI Express
    Viewsonic VG720 17" LCD
    Plextor PX-716A DVD Burner

Main System
    ASUS A8V Deluxe
    Athlon 64 3500+
    Aspire Super X-Alien (Blue) Case
    1Gig PC3200 DDR
    Maxtor 100Gig SATA
    Maxtor 120Gig IDE
    XFX 6800GT 256MB Version
    Acer AL1715smd 17in LCD
    Plexwriter 52/24/52A
    Sony DVDRW

Just to add a bit of personal experience, I used to have a 510, then I switched to a G5 as soon as they were released. I don't know, maybe I've got a deffective one, or maybe it doesn't like the table I use it on, or whatever, but I really don't like the G5.

The problem is that, well, to put it in a wisecrack kinda way, they copied a ball mouse way too much. You know how with a ball mouse occasionally the ball would get dirty and not quite roll right, or not much? My G5 does that too.

Ok, so that was the wisecrack version, but seriously, the distance moved on the screen seems to be closer to a random value than an accurate representation of the distance the mouse has been moved. Thankfully I haven't played any FPS lately, but the thing is imprecise enough to miss spell icons (think a toolbar) in World Of Warcraft or Everquest 2. I shudder to even think of trying a FPS with it.

I've tried changing the sensitivity, thinking that maybe it's just set too high for me or something, but no dice. Even at a snail's pace, it just doesn't seem to get it right. It was probably a dumb idea anyway, since my problem isn't overshooting, but randomly _under_shooting by a random amound.

And frankly, I haven't had this kind of problem with the 510 or with a Razer Boomslang or with the optical mini-mouse bundled with one of Logitech's cordless desktops, or whatever. I can accurately turn and snipe with the cordless optical on the other computer on any sensitivity after just minimal getting used to it, but with the G5 I can miss the big menu button in EQ2.

I've thought that maybe a hair or something got stuck in front of the lens, but I just don't see one.

I'm thinking maybe I'll try it on another surface, but if that fails too, I'm going back to the 510.

Again, that's just personal experience and it could just be that I picked a one-in-a-million deffective mouse. It doesn't mean all are necessarily that way. Just, well, my kinda luck :/

Thread Information