Distributed computing team?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

View Poll Results: Which distributed computing project?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • ClimatePrediction

3 20.00%
  • Folding@Home

7 46.67%
  • Seti@Home

2 13.33%
  • I'm not interested

3 20.00%
Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Distributed computing team?

Thumbs up Distributed computing team?

Hi all,

We all have pretty highly spec'ed PCs, and some of us seem to have more than one! I was wondering if you guys would be willing to start up a HwC team? I'll list some projects to choose from. If anyone has any other ideas, I'll add them to the poll.

ClimatePrediction - Climateprediction.net is the largest experiment to try and produce a forecast of the climate in the 21st century. To do this, we need people around the world to give us time on their computers - time when they have their computers switched on, but are not using them to their full capacity.

Folding@Home - What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

Seti@Home - SETI@home is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate by running a free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data.

We have chosen Folding@Home!

To join the team, you must do the following:

1. Go to the Folding at home website and download the Folding@Home application*.
    2. Install the application.
    3. Enter your HwC alias as your user name (you don't need to register)
    4. In team number, type 34878 to join the HardwareCentral team.
    5. Then press enter to set the next few items to the defaults.
    6. You are now Folding!

*The text-only client is much quicker than the GUI client. I therefore recommend you use the text-only application! To download the Windows version, click here:

Text-only F@H app

To view our Team scores (and your own individual scores) click here:

Team HWC scores

Cheers,

Nick
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

I've added the poll now - It'll close in 5 days (unless we have a clear winner immediately!), then after that, we can start crunching!
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

I'll go for Folding@Home
    A64 3200+ Venice | XP-120 | 1024MB GeIL Ultra PC4000 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi Radeon X800 XL 256MB | 2x 250GB Maxtor DM+10 (RAID-0) | LG Flatron L1710B | 1999 Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2.5 V6

"Oh Lord, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference."

Folding at Home here too.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

I'd say climate, since its so shagged up lately But if folding wins no problemo as well.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Climate could be interesting too.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    We used to have a seti team if I remember right. Even a forum for it too. What makes you think this one will last any longer? I am not giving up any time to help thoses loonies who are worried about the climate or alien signals. The folders have no idea what they are really doing. They are probably coming up with some new way to mutate the human race for all they know.

We already have a Folding@Home team too (check my sig )

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

I did seti for a while, maybe from this board? I'm almost positive it was through a forum board that I signed up on, but few years ago, and I suffer from CRS nowadays.

Folding@home sounds interesting as well.

I've done folding before so folding it is. Funky interface aswell. Seti is rather dull.
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

I could dedicate 2 machines (p4 2.53 and P4 3.06@3.46 at anything which doesn't sound like seti. Folding has linux clients so it would be a good choice for me.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Climate! I want accurate beach weather predictions.

how fast are computers crunching seti packets these days? the last time i read anything about seti.. we were talking about how much faster the EB version of the P3 was in seti due to the 133mhz fsb
    Worlds Loudest Subwoofers.... Nasa technology..
    They sound Great (they also make studio equipment)

-= Digital Designs =-

Disclosure Project

The movement to end the coverup of advanced tech -see Scaler Waves

I'm up for climate prediction, but I'll have to see how my computer holds up to passive cooling first. I finally bought an Antec Phantom PSU and I'm gonna slap a ThermalTake Sonic Tower on my Athlon XP (I hope it stays at a reasonable temperature!). That's the entire system fanless. I'm gonna cut two holes in the top of the thing to let the convection currents do the work. Lets hope that's enough - wish me luck for tomorrow

Cool, we do have a folding team which is ranked about 600ish (out of 42,000)!

We could resurrect that if you guys want?

Thread Information