Ipod-putting mp3s onto a PC without Ipod software
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Ipod-putting mp3s onto a PC without Ipod software

Hybrid View

Ipod-putting mp3s onto a PC without Ipod software

I found an Ipod the other day snowboarding. Turned it in but the guy never claimed it. So the ski resort returned it to me.
    How do put music onto it and take music off of it without any software? What would happen if I connected it to my PC with a usb cord, will it show up as a device and I can do it that way.

WinXP
    Thanks
    JB

You'll need software of some sort, and iTunes is free.

I'm personally a fan of the stuff from Red Chair Software, but it's not free -- the iPod version is US$25.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

I was messing with a friends system and I saw that when you hook up the Ipod that it imports all the songs automatically. How can you choose the songs that you want to go onto your Ipod instead of every song on your computer dumping onto the Ipod. That's stupid. He has a folder for meditation and one for regular music. All the songs went zipping onto the Ipod. He only wanted the regular music on not the meditation tunes.
    Thanks
    JB

you have to enable manual mode in itunes. this is exactly why i hate itunes, it seems to like to take over your pc.

i use jrmedia center 11.1. the .1 version comes a hell of a lot more improved for ipods. you can use a free trial for a month so that will allow you to get that music on there. itunes will work too though, just gotta put it in manual mode

I dunno, I have no problem with the way iTunes works with an iPod. Yes, you can manually control the songs imported, but I like the fact that you can have it import the songs on your selected playlists automatically, and those playlists can be made to automatically update themselves. I just have all my 3-5 star songs on my iPod. I guess everyone's different though.

I haven't seen the Manual setting yet.
    Is there any way to delete a single song from the Ipod from the device?
    Thanks
    JB

Edit--->Preferences-->iPod tab

You need to have the iPod plugged in, then you can set it to manually control the content. This will ONLY work once you've registered the iPod with your system. It doesn't let you control the content of an iPod registered to another system to prevent illegally sharing music.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeOnTheTree
    Edit--->Preferences-->iPod tab

You need to have the iPod plugged in, then you can set it to manually control the content. This will ONLY work once you've registered the iPod with your system. It doesn't let you control the content of an iPod registered to another system to prevent illegally sharing music.
    Now let me ask this:
    My sister-in-Law got this Nano for Xmas. She was visiting me and wanted to know how to put music on her Ipod. I said that I would go thru the manual and software to try it and then show her how it works.

I proceded to load ITunes onto my computer. Then I uploaded some songs to her Ipod from my computer. I had to go thru some kind of registering. I used her name and phone number and address.
    Before she left my house, I uninstalled Itunes from my computer and gave her all her software back so she can go to her computer and do what I did on my computer.

Now you are telling me that if it was registered to one computer then it will never work again for the manual thing on another computer.
    Thanks
    JB

I guess to answer your origonal question- use windows search. have the ipod hooked up and have it search in drive: (ipod) for audio files. make sure to include hidden files, as the ipod hides the folder. then just copy and paste into a harddisk folder.

this way you can get the songs off before you start up itunes and have it delete all of them automatically.

No, as long as she runs the same setup on her PC, it will properly ID the iPod and let her add songs. My roomate got an iPod for Christmas, and the giver preloaded songs on it. He set it up on his PC and was able to make changes with no problems. I believe that iPods are tied to a specific email address (which just basically serves as a unique username). At least that's the case for music purchased from iTMS--it's registered to the buyer, not the hardware. However, you are limited to the amount of hardware you can play the content on. For purchased music, it's any 5 PCs at one time. I'd imagine that the iPod follows similar rules.

Thread Information