Evil Plextor! Found out why my drive burns so slow - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evil Plextor! Found out why my drive burns so slow

It is usually best to check with the Motherboard manufacturer first on hardware before buying checking compatibility.

As was posted before in this thread Optical Drives on SATA is questionable at this time, That is why I didn't get the SATA vers of the PX-716 personally.

It always backs to the system builder and it their responsibility to check hardware compatibility before buying anything.

It is not very hard to find out info because most motherboard manufactors do have links on their websites and forums too.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Speaking for myself (well, who else did ya think!?), I did check compatibility before I bought: I looked at the same list that you posted. Plextor claims that the 716-SA works with the Adaptec 1205 PCI SATA controller. It doesn't: at least, not with an AV8 mobo. And a quick search through Adaptec's website will confirm that the 1205 does not support optical drives. In other words, Plextor is making questionable claims about compatibility. I don't accuse them of being outright liars, though: it's possible that the 716SA-1205 combination worked with the mobo's that Plextor tested, but I can assure you that it doesn't work with the Abit AV8. And it's not obvious that Abit, ASUS, or any other mobo manufacturer is going to be able to assure compatibility between any combination of mobo-PCI card-optical drive.

t-man
    A64 3500+
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    Antec 480W Trupower II
    2 X Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT
    PNY 6800GT
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Plextor PX-716SA DVD/CD burner
    Memorex 52X CD reader
    Western Digital 300GB IDE
    Maxtor 300GBSATA
    Seagate 300GB SATA
    W2K Pro

With all of the newer things that are coming out so fast like SATA, SATA II, Serial SCSI, PCI Express etc it am not really surprised that there are some compatibility problems.

It reminds me of the old days when you really had to research everything before buying anything to build a system.

Personally I like to stay one step behind until most of the issues are worked out (I really don't like problems with my systems).

I am sure Plextor tested the drive correctly but as you said the board they tested might have been compatibible, it could have been an early model of that board.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson
    Digging deep into their Website?

All I had to do was Click on PX-716SA and there it was.
    What I was meaning is that with all these compatibility issues there should be a warning on the product page of that drive stating that there are compatibility problems with some/most SATA controllers. You've literally got to hunt for that page Jankerson sent me. They need to get that compatibility table tidied/sorted out too, what a mess!

Think I'm going to try my luck with what TheCandyMan suggested if updating my SATA controller drivers doesn't do the trick.
    A64 3800+ (cooled with Zalman CNPS9500-LED)
    ABIT AV8 Mainboard using on-board Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio controller
    1024Mb DDR SDRAM
    Nesteq Semi-Fanless PSU, 620W
    ATI Radeon X1950 (cooled with Thermalright HR-03 Rev.A Heatpipe & Xilence Red Wing 120mm Quiet Fan)
    120Gb SATA Baracuda HDD
    80Gb IDE Western Digital HDD
    Plextor PX-716SA DVD-+RW
    Sony DRU510 DVD-+RW
    1 front & rear SilentX 120mm case fan
    Lian Li V SILENT PC-V1100B case
    Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW

Jankersons point about "research" is especially important with new technology (like SATA). In the future, I intend to shy away from cutting edge gear and stay with proven and well- supported hardware. I regularly drop in at several message boards similar to ours (not as good, of course!), and SATA problems are among the most common complaints that I've seen. You are not alone, MrCatDog...

t-man
    A64 3500+
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    Antec 480W Trupower II
    2 X Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT
    PNY 6800GT
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Plextor PX-716SA DVD/CD burner
    Memorex 52X CD reader
    Western Digital 300GB IDE
    Maxtor 300GBSATA
    Seagate 300GB SATA