Is it my Sony Trinitron? or my trident card?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Is it my Sony Trinitron? or my trident card?

Is it my Sony Trinitron? or my trident card?

System specs: Intel Triton mobo, cyrix 120mhz processor, 32mb edo. I recently replaced my crappy trident video card with an equally crappy trident video card (9680). Two days ago, I noticed that when win98 boots up, the "Clouds" screen appears, but there are several square "holes" that appear (the color is missing in those sections - pixels?). This does not occur on other screens, although I noticed similar holes in NBA98. Does it sound like a problem with my sony trinitron multiscan 15sx (which has 7 mos left on warranty) or with my crappy little trident card (which I'm replacing)?

thankx

Hmm...
    Is your card on ISA slot? How 'old' is
    your card? Should go get a better card I guess... it's not too expensive nowadays.

assuming that you loaded the driver corectly, the 9680 is only 1mg and only a minor upgrade from your "crappy" card, you don't have agp so you have a couple choices a. get a 4mg or higher pci or b. get a new board, chip.. blah blah blah... I grabed a 4 mg agp for $28 at auction, so try that (if you want to "game" upgrade and get 12 or 16mg, but otherwise 4 should do you)best of luck

The card was purchased about 3 mos ago - big mistake. BTW it has 2mb of memory on board - whooah! Seriously, I had no idea how far vid cards had come when I bought this thing Now that I've done some research, I have purchased a new bh6 mobo and 300a celery processor, and am in the process of purchasing a banshee vid card. I am just worried that the problem may be due to my monitor (which I love!) and want to find out while my warranty is stlll in effect. Just curious if this sounded like a monitor or card problem.

Thanks!

wes

My guess is that it is the monitor. But it isn't just you monitor...it seems to be all trinitron based monitors. I read recently in a news publication in Canada called "the Computer Paper" that all Sony trinitrons have a defect in the tube. The lines "missing pixels" are thin wires that are a part of the way Trinitron and other Aperture grille monitors are made......unfortunately they don't tell you this when you buy those monitors
    Tim England

I believe the "thin wire" Nelson is refering to is located about 1/3 up from the bottom of your screen and not at all noticable under most conditions. You really have to look for it and even then most people (myself included) can`t see it. I tried as I use a Trinitron monitor at work!

The "wire" is nessary in Single aperture (Trinitron) systems.It was long ago agreed that the having almost invisible line was well worth the improved picture quality.

It may well be you monitor but it sounds like it`s most likely the Display card or drivers.

Yeah I would have to agree with Falsh actually. Come to think of it , when I did see the missing lines on a friends monitor I was only really aware of them under certain conditions....different backgrounds and such...also I found though that the higher the resolution, the more I was aware of it. Personally i don't care though how good the rest of the picture is....it is like having a brand new lamborghini that has a scratch running down the side of it that is only visible in the dark. I have an Acer 78ie and I'm satisfied 100% with it.

ACtually, I was aware of the "line" 1/3 up from the bottom as a stabilizer for the aperture grille. THat does not bother me in the least. What I'm seeing are *randomly* scattered "boxes" (about a 1/2mm square) and there are about 20 or so of these (actually they are sort of maroon in color, not colorless). The drivers are loaded correctly, and I've tried drivers from several different sources to see if that helps. Anyway, I'll let you know if it still happens when I hook the monitor up to my new system with Banshee card!

Thanks for the help

wes

It is not the monitor, it is the card. The 9680 which is a PCI device has problems when have to change palletes in the memory, this is most noticeable in lower megs cards, i have installed those, and i replaced them for the same reason, artifacts, your car "new" is from if i remember well 1994 so it is not at pace with your computer ( exept that your computer is from 1994, in which case start buying some coal to make it work ).

Just a FYI I have 24" GDM W900 Trinitron and SONY has gone to 2 wires on this size. Only visible on white background.
    Alienware M18x R2 3740QM 16GB 7970s CrossfireX 500GB SATA
    Alienware M5750 Core 2 Duo 2.16 4GB RAM X1900 Raid 1
    Alienware Area-51 5550 P4 3.8 6800 Ultra H2O Cooled
    ThinkPad X1 Carbon i7 3667U 256GB SSD 4GB RAM

Sounds like a video card problem, if you dont see the holes on the screen at all times, it could only be the video card. It would be very rare for it to be the monitor.

Thread Information