I'm never buying another PC game again!!!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm never buying another PC game again!!!!

I'm never buying another PC game again!!!!

I was at target yesterday and saw ultimate spider man and i thought hey it looks cool so i picked it up and it made me dizzzzzzzzzy. as did unreal tourney 2003 (which i also got at target) but ut1 didnt have any effect on me. neither did spider man 1 on psx, it was hella fun.
    so i go to gamestop cuz they have a sign outside to trade in your games for cash or credit. so i'd thought hey i want another mouse maybe i can add a few bucks and get one. then i wait 10 min in line and the guy says we dont take pc games anymore. but eb might. so i head over to electronics boutique and the guy there says they dont take em either. so i look on ebay and there's a few people trying to get rid of these titles but not anyone biting really.
    spiderman's not even 24 hours out of the box and im trying to get rid of it already haha

...btw i'm still a lil bit dizzy from all that web slinging
    IWill KK266+/TBird 1.4ghz/512 mb pc133/Maxtor 40 gb 7200/Seagate 80 gb 7200/Ati Radeon 9250/Voodoodie 2000 pci on 17, 17, & 15" monitors/
    Windows 2000

Toshiba Satellite A75-S211 [3.2 ghz p4, 80 gb, 768 ram, dvd burner, usb2 300 gig maxtor, el cheapo usb2 DL dvd burner
    Windows XP Home SP2

was it a good game? or do you mean that its just a bunch of flying around with no point? i came onto ut with ut2004, and i also thought it was too much to take in, too intense to be fun or be good at. but im getting used to it.

f.e.a.r is like that as well, it just sucks you in, so far that you really will jump when things surprise you. ive never been able to get my head inside a game, well not like fear. i really wonder if they will be able to top it, its really that good.

edit- how much you want for that siderman game? ive been eying it for awhile.... is that spiderman 2 or the one after that? or before it?
    Last edited by krupted; January 13th, 2006 at 07:48 PM.

it was fun at first when everything was slow. but then u have to go save people by following dots on a map...jump on cars and beat it up, stop robbers, stuff like that. i think the idea is sound but boy am i dizzy. quake 2 nearly made me throw up. i never learned my lesson haah.

http://www.activision.com/en_US/game...4cd8edd2c.html
    its that game. you really want it?
    IWill KK266+/TBird 1.4ghz/512 mb pc133/Maxtor 40 gb 7200/Seagate 80 gb 7200/Ati Radeon 9250/Voodoodie 2000 pci on 17, 17, & 15" monitors/
    Windows 2000

Toshiba Satellite A75-S211 [3.2 ghz p4, 80 gb, 768 ram, dvd burner, usb2 300 gig maxtor, el cheapo usb2 DL dvd burner
    Windows XP Home SP2

Lightbulb

Welcome to the world of simulator sickness, a condition similar to motion sickness that is caused by exposure to virtual environments.

Sure, we know that we're not running around a dungeon with a shotgun, but our ears and eyes have a harder time reaching the same conclusion. The result? Confusion between the senses that can cause headaches, nausea, vertigo, and dizziness while playing and, even more surprising, sometimes for long periods of time after playing.

The answer lies partly in the fact that virtual reality technology - the concept behind games like Quake, Duke, and Unreal - has some very serious side effects. So serious, it seems, that it might be impossible for futuristic concepts such as VR helmets and holodecks to really catch on for a large portion of the world's population.

Worse, as 3D gaming technology becomes more advanced, we might very soon reach a critical mass of technical capability that is simply too real for the majority of people who want to play! At the rate 3D accelerators are advancing, this could happen very shortly, if it hasn't happened already.

Motion sickness most typically results from situations where a person's inner ear is thrown off balance by physical motion; the internal fluids move around, causing the body to lose its sense of foundation. This is what usually causes the nausea and vertigo that some people experience on boats and airplanes where the basic foundation is constantly in motion (research shows that approximately 80% of people are susceptible to some form of motion sickness). This is not, however, what is happening when people become sick while playing video games.

Simulator sickness, by comparison, results from purely virtual circumstances. There's not much motion involved in playing Quake (ducking and bobbing, perhaps, but not much else), so the sickness people feel is coming purely from the screen and speakers - their virtual visual and aural environment - as opposed to their real environment. However, simulator sickness is intrinsically related to motion sickness in terms of symptoms, and studies have shown that people who are prone to getting motion sickness are also more likely to experience simulator sickness (and vice versa).

What causes simulator sickness? Surprisingly, there's no simple answer, and very little research on the topic. The most popular explanation for the cause of simulator sickness is the "cue conflict theory," which states that the discrepancy between the stimuli that different senses detect causes confusion for the body. Basically, this means that if your eyes think you're moving, and your body does not feel any motion to support that claim, you can become confused and disoriented.

In the past, with games like Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3D, the animation and virtual environment were simply too cartoonish for the nervous system to take seriously. The virtual "worlds" created in those games were perceived by the body to be just that- an exercise in entertainment that existed within a clearly defined real world (much like watching TV).

However, Quake II-era games have crossed a threshold that seems to exist for simulator sickness. These games are so immersive, and demand such a high level of concentration and involvement from the player, that the body loses touch with the real surroundings and begins to think that it's actually inside the world of the game. Quake II played with software acceleration seems to be on one side of the fence (not too immersive for most people); Quake II with hardware acceleration, which dramatically increases the game's feeling of reality, is on the other side of this theoretical boundary.

I'm not sure the realism aspect is so critical to it. I get sick from System Shock II for example. Doom 3, UT 2004 and Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault don't do a thing though.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Quote Originally Posted by chetmichaels

http://www.activision.com/en_US/game...4cd8edd2c.html
    its that game. you really want it?

hmm, well maybe a trade. i have the black edition dvd of painkiller, trade straight up? its like new condition. fantastic game, but i guess i should warn its a M rating. i also have like new TRON 2.0, NBA live 06 and Tiger Woods 06 that im willing to trade if your interested.

in unreal tourney 1 there is a map where its on a moon or something with low gravity and when i jump off a building i get the roller coaster feeling
    Windows 2000

Windows XP Home SP2

packaged and ready to be shipped, thanks man. youll probably get it by wed/thurs

urs will be a day later
    Windows 2000

Windows XP Home SP2

hey i got it today! i wonder how that went so fast, that was an overnight delivery. ill try it tonight.

oh by the way, i see your postage was 4.05. i think i paid 4.08, so if you want to just send me a money order for one and a half cents to split the difference that would be great. well if you cant do the half cent just send me two full ones, it wont bother me. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by krupted
    hey i got it today! i wonder how that went so fast, that was an overnight delivery. ill try it tonight.

oh by the way, i see your postage was 4.05. i think i paid 4.08, so if you want to just send me a money order for one and a half cents to split the difference that would be great. well if you cant do the half cent just send me two full ones, it wont bother me. thanks.

What a dink...
    Compy 1 (Brand New as of 2/7/07):
    P5N32-E SLI w/ C2D E6600 at stock (for now)
    Zalman CNPS9700 cooler
    2GB Corsair DDR2800 @ 5-5-5-15 @1.9v
    1x EVGA 8800GTX (stock)
    1 150GB Raptor+ 250GB WD Internal SATA's
    250GB WD Backup Drive
    2x Plextor DVD burners, IDE
    2x Plextor DVD burners, SATA
    Audigy2 w/ Klipsch 2.1's
    Black Silverstone TJ-07
    PC P&C 510W SLI PSU
    Dell 30" LCD

Strongbad e-mail

oh hell naw...now i have to post a photo
    http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7466/4057fc.jpg
    u gonna have to beat the 2 cents outta my dead lifeless body
    zing!

[Image replaced with link by Tuttle -- 3840x2160 is a little wider than most users' browser windows. ]
    Windows 2000

Windows XP Home SP2

damn i hoped you threw that away by now

by the way, the game is pretty awesome. i spend the most time just perfecting swinging around the city, im amazed at the control. heck of a horsepower hog though, i have to turn the distance clip down half to get high framerates, which are needed for this game...

geez u good...i swang erratically and couldnt turn tight corners or swing upwards. im having tons of fun wif nba live tho. im wowed at the detail and the ai! of course the last live game i played was 2000 i think...
    good thing i got the new 128 mb vid card i tink it helps a lil bit...
    Windows 2000

Windows XP Home SP2

Thread Information