Sony Vaio Hard Drive Removal & Help
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Sony Vaio Hard Drive Removal & Help

Sony Vaio Hard Drive Removal & Help

Hello,

i'm hoping someone here can help me or offer me any advice.

I have a SONY Vaio FS215B laptop which i am returning to SONY because its not powering up.

I have a desktop also, and would like to transfer across the content of the harddrive in the Vaio.

What i need to know is what cable should i purchase?..I know one end is a usb connection but i am not sure what the other connection is, to enable me to drag and drop the files

Would REALLY appreciate any replies.

Thanks

Deano

Welcome to the forum.

If you are comfortable getting the hard drive out of the laptop, you can get an adaptor to hook it up as a slave to your desktop and transfer the files that way.

One of these-

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

Or, assuming the laptop will start up, you can hook the two machines together at their network cards with a crossover cable and create a small network that way.
    Last edited by jimbo1763; January 21st, 2006 at 03:58 PM.

Wow, thanks for your quick response.

It doesn't look like it is a usb on the end of that cable.. tho might be my eyesight
    The reason i ask is i had a repairman come last year who managed to drag accross files using a cable which had a usb end - i've had a look on ebay but cant seem to find a similar one.

No, the IDE adaptor is not USB. I editted my post to add the possibility of a crossover cable, which has a network cable end (RJ 45) to it-is that what you may have seen?

Thanks jimbo!
    Problem is my laptop doesnt power up..so i need to connect the removed harddrive to my desktop ( via usb ) externally. Hmmm, I askedthe guy at the time about the cable and he said i could get one off ebay or on the net - still not sure which one.

Can anyone else point me in the right direction?
    Last edited by deanoinuk; January 21st, 2006 at 05:28 PM.

Sony Vaio VGN-S150

I have a Sony Vaio S series VGN-S150 laptop and need to replace my hard drive due to a hard drive crash. I cannot locate the drive. Seems like it is on the bottom with two screws. When I opened the door there was a network board and didn't seem to be able to remove it without taking the case apart.
    I am in dire straits as the data on my laptop has my tax and banking information and I am leary of taking it anywhere. I have a hard drive enclosure as soon as I can remove the drive. Any help would be appreciated and if you have photos that would help as well.

Appreciate the assistance !

Following posted at Sony:

Knowledge Article C309925...

Can the notebook hard drive be upgraded or replaced

Hard drive upgrades in the notebook computer are not supported.

NOTES:

* Some notebook computer have instructions for warranty replacement of the hard drive by an end user.
    * Although third-party upgrades may be available for some models, they are not supported.
    * If the hard drive needs service, repair should be done by an authorized Sony service center.
    * External hard drives may be attached if the appropriate connections are available.

Translation: Disassembly of the notebook is required to gain access to HDD.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

No experience with Vaios (and from what I've read of a few people who've had problems, I won't be joining), but most recent notebooks don't bury the hard drive too far. Take off all the small covers first and look.
    There is a free website with a scattering of maintenance manuals that might have one for your Sony. Here is a link to a post with a link to the website and some instructions on downloading them.
    When you get it out, you can get an adapter for $10 or less that converts from 2.5" (laptop) hdd IDE to 3.5" (desktop) IDE. This will enable you to pull the cover off a desktop and connect the drive as a slave and copy files over. I have seen recently on the computer shop websites adapters that appear to be IDE to USB, but have no direct experience with them.
    Most older laptops use hard drive caddies, which the hard drive fits into and then plugs into the laptop. The recent ones tend to allow the raw drive to be put in directly.

Don't be afraid to get that drive out, connect it as a slave and copy your files. You can do it, and if you run into roadblocks, we can help.
    Last edited by DanceMan; March 5th, 2006 at 04:49 AM.

Nice link DanceMan.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information