How do I know if I can use this hard drive?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How do I know if I can use this hard drive?

Exclamation How do I know if I can use this hard drive?

I want the Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I have a Dell dimension 4600. I've heard a lot of people say dell does something so that you cannot upgrade your system, but I've already put in a new power supply and video card at christmas with no problems.

My only concern is that when I get this hard drive, there will be some compatibility issue, and I won't be able to install it, whether it's cable related, or something else.

Can anyone help me out?

Some of My Current Computer Info:

Code:
    Motherboard:
          CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium 4HT, 2400 MHz (12 x 200)
          Motherboard Name                                  Dell Dimension 4600
          Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Springdale i865PE
          System Memory                                     1024 MB  (DDR SDRAM)
          BIOS Type                                         Phoenix (08/26/04)
          Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
          Communication Port                                ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Storage:
          IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
          IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
          Floppy Drive                                      Floppy disk drive
          Disk Drive                                        IC35L060AVV207-0  (60 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
          Optical Drive                                     _NEC CD-RW NR-9300A  (48x/24x/48x CD-RW)
          Optical Drive                                     LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163  (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
          SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

I've heard a lot of people say dell does something so that you cannot upgrade your system,
    They are full of it. That 250gB hard drive does work with your computer.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Quote Originally Posted by BunniBunni
    I have a Dell dimension 4600. I've heard a lot of people say dell does something so that you cannot upgrade your system
    They don't have a clue what they are talking about...

Yes that drive will work great in your system.

Dell 4600 Specs

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Welcome to HWC.

That is kind of neat how you put a scroll bar into the forum post.

SATA cables should have come with the motherboard. I do not know if they are supplied with the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Leoslocks
    That is kind of neat how you put a scroll bar into the forum post.
    The [code] tag does that.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Thread Information