Replacing Dell Inspiron 5150 Hard drive
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Replacing Dell Inspiron 5150 Hard drive

Question Replacing Dell Inspiron 5150 Hard drive

I want to upgrade my old hard drive on my 5150 laptop, but i have read on some websites that there are different types of hdd's for laptops. Could anyone tell me what type of hdd will work? I want to get this Toshiba 100gb 5400 rpm, 16mb cache, but it also says ATA-6. Could someone tell me what ATA-6 means and also if it would work or not? Thanks for the help.

I did a quick check of the specs on your Dell. Are you upgrading for better performance, or because the original died?

Anything you buy new now will work. No worries there. That's not exactly a cool notebook you have, 3.06 P4 and a discreet nVidia card. Just talking temps. So I wouldn't go beyond a 5400 rpm to keep temps reasonable.
    Did you know Toshiba drives are the only ones that have no manufacturer provided test utility if you want to check drive health? I'm using a Samsung 5400 rpm to replace the dead Toshiba 4200 rpm in one of my notebooks.

Hey, thanks a ton for the help, yea I know my laptop is pretty crappy, but it gets the job done. AND yes, it does get very very hot, thats why I have a little fan tablet under it. I am replacing it because my 40gb is too small and I am already out of room on it. I guess I will look for something else since they don't provide a test utility. Thanks again for the help.

Links to notebook hard drive tests

I like Samsung because they're cheap at my local shops, quiet, and amongst the coolest and lowest wattage, but not quite as fast as some other brands. Seagate 5400 rpm 2.5" drives were originally noisy, but I think recent ones are quiet.

But check out the reviews to decide for yourself.

Thanks again for the help DanceMan.

Thread Information