Problem with Motherboard Recognizing Hard Drive
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Problem with Motherboard Recognizing Hard Drive

Unhappy Problem with Motherboard Recognizing Hard Drive

I think my only option available at this point is to replace the motherboard, but I having a weird problem and want some feed back from the experts here. I have a computer that originally had 2 hard drives. 2 weeks ago, it would not boot up at all. After doing some hardware diagnositic I determined it was the slave drive causing the problem. When it was disconnected, the computer would boot into the startup screen, but then even with the master only, still would not boot into windows. I tried everything, from replacing the power supply, removing sticks of ram, expansion cards (minus video card of course) and so on. Nothing. So I took a 80gig WD harddrive from another computer that I replaced with a 200gig Maxtor, and figured it would work. Nope. So I'm thinking IDE Channel 1. So I put the two cd drives, one regular DVD Rom and one CDR burner, on Channel 1, and it found them, no problem, in fact it allowed me start a new windows install, booting from the cd, but of course not being able to find the hard drive, it stopped at hardware configuration check. No the hard drive, atleast this new one, comes up in the bios startup screen, where it shows you ram check, and so on, but it the bios will not let me do a IDE Hard Drive Check, where it scans and allows you to pick different choice for each Master And Slave, but when the cd rom drives are on either channel, it finds them no problem. What could be causing this? Is there a Hard Drive Controller on the mobo that might have went bad and is causing this problem or something else? Any ideas of suggestions are appreciated, I have till next week before I replace the mobo and try that.

One other thing, I tried getting the two original hard drives to boot in another computer, with no luck. They are more than likely ****ered. But the 80gig WD worked fine in the original computer I pulled it out of, after I tried it in this system, so it seems to be okay. More than likely something on the mobo went bad, taking out the 2 original drives, but I'm at lost as to what it could be. Any help would be great.

PS: I use to be Candyman on here, signed up in November of 1999, but even though my account was still here, I couldn't do anything lol! I guess becuase it had been so long since the last time I was on here, but I'm, Baaacccckkk!!!

Just a note, after talking with a few tech guys, and without them actually looking or testing it, more than likely the HD controller went bad, taking the hard drives with it. Long story short, upgraded another system, my slowest one, replacing the mobo, cpu and ram (Biostar with a Athlon 2800 64 and 1 gig ddr400 ram) and used the mobo, cpu and ram from that system to rebuild this one (which I use for business only, no gaming, but still an improvement from the old 800mhz to 1.4ghz). Just to let everyone know in case it happens to you.

Oke, doke.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information