CDs I burned will not read on other computers
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CDs I burned will not read on other computers

CDs I burned will not read on other computers

I have a number of data CDs I burned on my computer. My computer reads these CDs fine. Two other new computers will not read these CDs, although they will read commercially prepared CDs. My data CDs are just files (photos, documents, etc.) which I burned, some in multiple session burns. When I try to read them in other computers, the computers act as if there is no CD in the drive. They tell me to "please insert a disc into the drive", even though the disc is there. Yet on a third other computer, all of the CDs I burn on my computer read just fine.

Help ! Any ideas on how I can retirieve these files ?
    Rosie
    Last edited by n3ivo; January 10th, 2006 at 02:44 PM. Reason: clarification

You need to be sure they are NOT multi sesson burns.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Also, if you have created a CD which is incompatible with one of your PCs, IsoBuster will be able to get at the data on that machine for you (free version is fine). Then you can either burn a new one in a single session, or just work with IsoBuster until you upgrade the OS on that PC.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Thanks, I will try IsoBuster. You mentioned using it "until you upgrade the OS on that PC". The PCs which won't read the discs are running on Win XP. Do you mean there is a service pack which will fix this problem ?

I also have another question. Some months ago, at work, I had a computer which was able to use CDs just like a hard drive: I frequently deleted individual files and added additional files to a single CD, regardless of how many burn sessions were involved. Would love to have that capability again (but the computer at work has been replaced). Is that also a software package which enabled me to do that ?

Thanks ! Rosie

Welcome to HWC

Using a Cd ReWrite disc could allow you to edit the files and continue burning until the 700MB of space was used. I am not sure you would be able to overrite existing files.

Windows XP should be able to handle anything you throw at it. Try IsoBuster and see if it recognises anything; if that doesn't pick anything up either then I'd guess your drives are dodgy or the media is weird somehow.

The latter feature you mention sounds like packet writing. Nero InCD and Roxio DirectCD both do that.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Thread Information