Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386

Exclamation Same boat and findings.

Hi everyone, I'm in the same boat as many of you are, or have been. Bought this Satellite A135-S2386 for a customer who did not want Vista.

CONFIRMED: The incessant hesitation problem is caused by hotkey.exe and nothing else. Launch Task Manager, Processes, and End Process Tree for hotkey.exe and problem goes away.

[Thank you VERY MUCH to previous poster who pointed the problem at hotkey.exe]

- I too need to get the F6/F7 brightness keys working. I've noticed that -some- of the Fn keys work, such as the F1 "lock" button. Need help with this one too.

- One problem I am having that no one else here seems to have reported is the display going into an unrecoverable sleep state. Let the laptop sit idle (not sure for how long). Let the screen go black and the powerlight to be pulsating with an amber color. Now try to wake the machine up (by momentarily pressing the power switch). On my system, the screen remains black no matter what I try. I am forced to power off and restart the machine to recover. Needless to say I would like some help with this problem.

- Can anyone else confirm if there is a problem with "reduced (mutted) volume", i.e. not as much volume as with Vista?

KUDOS BIG TIME to all of you here who have contributed! Thank YOU very much!!

Mammoth

*Multiple threads and posts on same subject merged into this one.

Exclamation Toshiba's official position on "downgrading" to XP.

Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386

It looks like that there are so many brothers here with the similar problems as I. I bought the Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386 with Vista Home Basic on it. And, of course, I wiped out the Vista and installed the XP Home. Like most people, I had 6 unfound drivers at first. Thanks to the previous posts, I got video cards, wireless and SM bus working. Now, I still can't get modem and two other unknown devices to work. Can anyone help me this?

Thank you for these who spent time uploading the drivers and/or links for the rest of us.

BTW, death to the Toshiba support. The technical support drives me nuts. The only thing she could tell me was "I suggest you to upgrade the computer to Vista, sir."

And, does anyone know why the ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 driver does not work? Is it because the processor of the notebook computer is Intel (Duo Core 1.6 Ghz) instead of AMD?

peace4future
    Last edited by peace4future; May 21st, 2007 at 07:05 PM.

I got modem driver working. Funny thing, after 10 hours search on line, I got the modem driver from modem utility in my recovery CD. Figures!!

Just two more unknown devices now.

Quote Originally Posted by datars
    Toshiba A135-S2276 XP Drivers Full.

Unzip and Burn to CD

Tested on a fresh install of XP

Drivers here
    It is so kind of you to provide the driver file. But, I can't get it. Can you please upload it again? Or you can please tell me what the two unknown devices are, and where can I get the drivers. Thank you in advance.

peace4future

Datars' link is no longer working. I clicked the "Click here to download" link, and it went straight to "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page.
    Last edited by peace4future; May 22nd, 2007 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peace4future
    Datars' link is no longer working. I clicked the "Click here to download" link, and it went straight to "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page.
    The link still works, and it has been downloaded 2,007 times

driver download

2007 times? wow.

i just downloaded (datar's drivers) last weekend (May 20th 2007) and, as i posted before, it works great. i was originally unable to download it at work because of some kind of network blocking, but it downloaded without a hitch (and without the help of any special downloading program) to my laptop via the free network at my local coffee shop. maybe you could download it elsewhere and drop it onto a USB flash drive like i did.

the touchpad worked fine with the original install, but i downloaded the XP driver (Windows 2000/XP v8.3.4) for it at:

http://www.synaptics.com/support/drive.cfm

now it comes up as a control panel which allows you to adjust the TapZones and EdgeMotion and such.

i'll get back to you on the function key thing. i'm not sure about them as i've just been adjusting the brightness via the ati omega driver control panel (under DISPLAY SETTINGS) instead.

i haven't tried the external s-video thing yet, but i saw that it was an option in the ATI omega driver control panel. i've been meaning to try that.

in the end, all i know is that all of those little (unrecognized device icons) are gone now and that makes me very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by datars
    The link still works, and it has been downloaded 2,007 times
    Datar, can you please tell me what are the two unknown devices? Thanks.

These are the two

UnKnown Device
    Direct Application Launch Button

UnKnown Device
    Direct Application Launch Button

Talking Nice Teamwork!

When we all work together we can do great things!!!

Following this thread and downloading SW from links posted here I managed to eliminate all my device driver errors displayed in my Windows XP SP2 Device Manager after downgrading from Vista, but however I do see eventual hick-ups on my Wireless network device that I'm following closely (have re-installed the driver 4 times).

Besides my Wireless connection what I see crash my computer every time is when sending my A135-S2386 to stand by, either closing the lid, pressing the power button or letting it go to sleep by it self after an elapsed period of minutes.

I cannot recover from stand by, I have read it may have something to do with the Video controller driver (this kind of make sense considering the Omega driver is some sort of ATI treaked driver (I presume)).

Does anybody here see that problem when going to stand by? Has somebody fixed this?

Thanks,
    L

all you need to do now is reformat your hard drive. LOL
    Go to ATI, I provided the link(s) way back in the begining of this forum and get there drivers. I suggest that you dont use the Omega drivers just for the reason you described above. However good luck getting rid of the all the omega driver instances. It is my suggestion that you get ALL of your drivers burned on disk, reformat and reinstall clean. I had to format 6 times before I got it all perfect. This thing smokes now.

Quote Originally Posted by bs953
    Ok, I'm loosing my patience now... This driver doesn't install in my A135-S2386, because the .INF file has discrepancies although it has the same Radeon Express 200M chipset.

The driver supports the following HW:
    "ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series" = ati2mtag_RC410M, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A62&SUBSYS_FF311179

Mi HW registers like:
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A62&SUBSYS_FF041179

So it seems the second byte in the SUBSYS field has all the fault, I tryed changing the .INF file to write in the same SUBSYS number but it will still not install because the driver and .INF correlate to some encription keys in a .CAT file.

The OMEGA driver does support my HW but makes my computer hang when recovering from Stand-by.

Can somebody please let me know if the managed to modify the driver of if there's a different version that supports the SUBSYS_FF041179 hardware?

Thanks,
    L

Darn, spoke too soon... modified my Catalyst 7.5 driver and added DEV_5a62 and it worked like a charm, the one I tryed to modify in my posting above was the European one, sorry for any confusion.

Thanks,
    c

Thread Information