Surface RT bricked.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Surface RT bricked.

Surface RT bricked.

Hopefully someone here might know more than me. I'd bought one of the last of the Rts ... mostly as a cheap way to learn Windows 8. Loaned it to my daughter during the summer for her backpacking trip across scotland. She liked it enough, she never gave it back. Kids. Well, this week, she brought it back, bricked. She works nights in a hospital monitoring patients .. and while it said on the screen "updating. Do not turn off" ... when her patient moved, she tapped the power button. Now it starts, gives the white Surface on black background boot text .. but no spinning lights. After a minute the screen blanks, apparently rebooting .. and gives the Surface text again. That's it. Holding down the power button for 6 seconds does shut it down ... but the trick of holding the volume button and power together does nothing more than the power button alone. I have the bitlocker key, and have made the restore USB key .. but no way to get in. Given it's mediocre value .. sending it in for service it's realistic.

Anyone have any new ideas to try?
    Jesus awaits you .... keep talking and I'll take care of the travel arrangements.

If you don't mind restoring your Surface from Original. From power off, insert your usb key, hold volume down as you press the power button and your Surface rt should boot from the usb drive. You might want to have the surface power adapter plugged-in while doing this.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Tried it .. no effect.
    Jesus awaits you .... keep talking and I'll take care of the travel arrangements.

It's possible that your Surface RT is not totally off. To make sure it is off, press and hold the power button for 30 to 45 seconds. Next, make sure there is not microsd card in the card slot, sometimes, the microsd card prevent the tablet from booting from usb. Insert the usb thumb drive and try booting from usb again.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

I'll try it again .. but like I said .. I don't even get the spinny disk. Removing the sd card was the first thing I did.

thanks

Thread Information