Advice on buying new notebook
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Advice on buying new notebook

Hybrid View

Advice on buying new notebook

I am helping a friend out on deciding which notebook to buy, and now I have turned to this group. Here are the specs,

Notebook #1

Gateway brand
    AMD Athlon 64 4000+
    15.4" Widescreen Ultrabright WXGA Display
    1024 MB DDR RAM
    100 GB HDD
    ATI Mobility Radeon X600
    DVD+/-RW Multiformat Double Layer Drive
    802.11g Integrated Wireless
    Windows XP Home
    7.5 lbs

Notebook #2

Toshiba brand
    Intel Pentium M Processor 760
    17" WXGA Trubrite Widescreen
    1024 MB DDR2 RAM
    100 GB HDD
    Reads and Writes DVDs and CDs
    802.11g Integrated Wireless
    Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    7.8 lbs

All of the above specs are from the actual tags at Best Buy. My friend plans on using it for her child who is in High School, but also for digital pictures and maybe video. If someone could help me out in deciding, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks!
    Drew Laing

Out of those 2 going by the specs only I would choose the Toshiba.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

I forgot to add the prices...

Gateway - $1449.99
    Toshiba - $1799.99

Thanks,
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by dr00bie
    I forgot to add the prices...

Gateway - $1449.99
    Toshiba - $1799.99

Thanks,
    Drew

Toshiba is generally a better product than Gateway.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

That Gateway model is very similar to mine. I like it for the most part. You will only get about 2 hours on a battery, but otherwise it's a very powerful machine, and the screen is very nice with many brightness levels. If you're not really looking for mobility, then I think it would work out for you.

Well, neither is very mobile. I think the Toshiba has two advanatages: Larger Screen, and lower TDP CPU.

I think the Gateway has a faster CPU, and probably much better video card. And XP home is probably preferable to MCE.

Given the size of these screens, and the heft of these notebooks, they'll have large batteries anyway, and I doubt the battery life difference will be significant. I think for the price I'd probably go with the Gateway (they have excellent built quality lately, by the way), especially if I was going to game or do professional 3-D applications where the nice GPU and faster CPU would be helpful, but the huge screen on the Toshiba is tempting.
    We all Think Different too.

Yeah, the X600 Mobility is basically the same as the old Radeon 9600 pro, but with the PCIe interface. The Athlon64 4000+ should be a 2.6ghz 1mb core on the 90nm process. It's a power hog compared to the PM, as it's a 62W CPU. That's not bad considering the clock speed.

And ditto on the quality of Gateway notebooks. The one I'm using is very well made and very accessable to upgrades, including the CPU.

Yeah, the X600 Mobility is basically the same as the old Radeon 9600 pro, but with the PCIe interface. The Athlon64 4000+ should be a 2.6ghz 1mb core on the 90nm process. It's a power hog compared to the PM, as it's a 62W CPU. That's not bad considering the clock speed.
    True, but it wouldn't be so bad under typical moderate loads. My 3000+ (130nm) was getting ~4 hrs of battery life (the battery is 20 months old now, alas) with moderate use due to Q&C/performance scaling, even while it only got 90mins if you pegged it at 100% the whole time.

Every try RMclock on your 3000+? It works pretty well these days, if you don't mind it running in the system tray. I've got it working on a Turion MT32 (replaced a 3700+), and my P-states are 800mhz @ .8v and 1800mhz @ 1.15v. Unfortunately, I only got an extra 30 minutes of battery life out of the deal. This suggests that ATI's chipset (at least the one in this machine) doesn't really save much energy.

Yeah, I did try a more updated version not long ago. Seems like maybe my NF3 was a little too early for it. I can run it, and it appears to be working, but a number of CAD and other computationally intensive apps crash out eventually. At this point, I could probably double my battery life by buying a new battery!

As far as your machine, I have a suspicion that @1.1v a Turion uses only a few watts, and at .8v, it uses less, but that the difference gets mostly washed out by the background overhead. I think you're probably seeing most of the saving when the chip it maxed out.

Yeah, and you can't go any lower than .8v. Oh well. ****s that RMclock doesn't work for you. I've found it to be as seamless as Powernow drivers. I wonder if it's the chipset or something else? It's not like ATI's mobily chipset is that great either.

If the Toshiba is chosen,
    Suggest that you enter a BIOS password that is easy to recollect.
    Unless you are willing to deal with the mobo replacement for such a possibility.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Most notebook manufacturers are getting like that. IBM have the same sort of policy as Toshiba -- replace the motherboard, not under warranty. Not certain about Gateway though.

Any sort of password like that is best written down and kept away from the laptop. That way you can always get at it if you need to.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

I wonder if it's the chipset or something else? It's not like ATI's mobily chipset is that great either.
    Not sure, really. Like I said, it FUNCTIONS allright, but it almost seems like on this machine when load is suddenly applied the multiplier change goes through slightly AHEAD of the Vcore change. It actually works if I make a 1.8@1.2 and a .8@1.2 set of states (which DOES knock down max TDP, since this chip is 1.4v stock... it's never had any problem running 1.8@1.2v, though). But if I try something like changing the lower Pstate to .8@1v (MORE than enough), it will run fine until it tries to switch to 1.8 Ghz... and then BSOD, artifacts, solid lock... all makes me think it's trying to run 1.8@1v... which this chip cannot do.

Maybe you should add a few intermediate P-states? It might help ramp up the VID a little faster. Once you define the high and low P-states, it can automatically determine the rest of the VIDs. Could be you just need a newer version of the program, or have you already tried that? I just like it because it reduces the amount of fan spinup.

Thread Information