Using Multiple Monitors
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Using Multiple Monitors

Using Multiple Monitors

What is the best way to add a second monitor
    to my existing system. Both monitors will be used primarily for 2D applications.

System is 200MHZ pentium with existing S3 Virge (on board). MB has a "VGA feature connector".

I am using two monitors w/an Appian Jeronimo J2N card (I think they've recently replaced that model w/a cheap one targeted @ Win98) and it works fine (www.appiangraphics.com). Last December I started running 3 monitors using a Colorgraphic (www.colorgfx.com) Evolution 4 (will do 4); I'm happy w/it as well. Both of the computers run NT. Neither of these cards are absolute bleeding edge 3D performers, but they're not slow either. There's another card called the Twinfinty that is made in England. As of December I couldn't find a AGP multi-card. I know of other people that run 2 Matrox Millenium PCI cards & like that setup, & Matrox makes a single slot multi-card (www.matrox.com). There are several utilities around that attempt to cope w/the problem of dialog boxes coming up split screen on a 2 monitor setup, but none I've seen are perfect. I believe Win98 has native support, but I don't use it;...can't comment. Most of these cards were (Dec) in the $600-$1100 range.

I don't know what use you have in mind, but I use it for interpreting seismic surveys and mapping; if you have several different things that you commonly are comparing it makes a world of difference in productivity. If you use software that has drop down free-floating menus (such as CorelDRAW) it is very helpful to be able to put all of them on one screen not obscuring the image or whatever that you're editing on the other. I will comment that the 3 monitor setup is nice, but I do spend some time just tracking down the cursor.
    Hope this helps!

Thanks beatle. The app is trading (equities). I noticed that co-ordinating the display across the desktop is a major issue.
    What happens if I just use two independant video cards? Can I manage separate apps on each display or does that become infeasible?

All of the multi-cards I referred to use drivers that create a virtual desktop & sync it to the screens, so, if you had been running at 1024x768 on one monitor, you just set it to 2048x768 in Display under Control Panel - If you're running MS Windows. I believe Matrox has a driver to allow you to do this w/the dual PCI card arrangement as well. Are you running W95/98 or NT? If I remember correctly - and I'm not sure - the Appian card came w/drivers to run under DOS.

milmo
    Are you running under some version of MS Windows?

Thread Information