PPRO + Diamond Viper V550 - will it work?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PPRO + Diamond Viper V550 - will it work?

PPRO + Diamond Viper V550 - will it work?

I need help here. I have a Pentium Pro 200Mhz and I just got a Diamond Viper V550 16MB TNT. I am having trouble with the drivers or is it just the card needing more CPU power? My transfer rate between hard drive and CDROM is great since I am using Dual SCSI mini RAID. Anyone has any experience using Pentium PRO + Diamond Viper V550 TNT???

------------------
    IronSnake

Chanse Guest
    I am running a Velocity TnT with a Dual P Pro
    180, and it is sweet. what trouble exactly are you having ?

I've run a Dell Optiplex dual PPro 200 machine with a CL GB TNT with excellent results. Use the referance drivers from NVidia. I don't think to highly of Diamond's drivers. Good luck.
    Jamey

[This message has been edited by jcourtney (edited 02-13-99).]

Thanks for your responses. The problem is that I am getting skipping in many of my 3D games like Unreal, Turok 2, ... Many ppl here say that it's because of my low CPU since I only have a single PPRO and not dual. Would it help if I overclock the Diamond Viper V550 or is it not worth burning it? By the way, I got better results with the nVidia reference drivers but somehow my TV output is now messed up...any idea why?

------------------
    IronSnake

[This message has been edited by ironsnake (edited 02-13-99).]

I don't know that the NVidia reference drivers handle TV out. I think they're for TNT only stuff, the Diamond TV-out is an extra feature . A dual PPro would help little since I have yet to see a game that doesn't basically confine itself to one processor. You are probably looking at a lack of memory/slow virtual memory problem. I hear that Unreal is happiest with a minimum of 64 MB of memory and that 128 is better. In addition, any use of your harddisk for virtual memory will kill performance. If your disk is IDE, your doubly hosed because the IDE will eat 1/3-90% of your cpu while working The best thing to do is make sure you have plenty of system memory (128MB is a nice number) Good Luck
    Jamey

Thread Information