Cd-rws
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Cd-rws

Cd-rws

Can files be resaved/copied to a cd-rw disc without having to erase the disc? I want to make weekley updates on some of the file on the disk but not all of them. Each time I attempt to re-write to the disc I am prompted that this is a read only file/disk. chapmandlchapman@cs.com

You have to burn them as a muli sesson disk the first time then you will beable to do what you want.

I personally don't bother with them anymore because CDR's are so cheap CDRW's aren't worth the trouble.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

you need a packet writing software (directcd etc.) to do what you want. the software will format your cdrw and treat it like a big floppy. there are several limitations to the packet writing apps (overhead, compatabiltiy etc.) that makes it less than useful.

you can create multi-sessions cdr that will allow you to do full backup of your data instead of an update. like jakerson stated, with the price of cdr/dvr as cheap as they are, cdrw is pretty much ignored. there are also issues with the durability of cdrw dyes that make them a poor choice for long term backup.

CD-RW can still be ok for rotating back-up, provided the data set is not too large. I've switched from CD-RW to DVD+RW for this purpose, but the principle is still the same.

Yeah, dont use RW for archiving, but for rotating backups it's still a good option.

Forget about packet writing software it's not worththe effort in my opinion. I just write multisession discs and when the data is old (that is a newer backup disc has been made) then you erase the old media and re-use. That's what a "rotating backup" implies!

BTW Arrowstar, what burning software are you using? You need to tell us this if you want any specific infomation on how to write multisession discs.

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll use option B
    ARROWSTAR

Thread Information