[RESOLVED] Sims 2 keeps crashing before it even starts
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Sims 2 keeps crashing before it even starts

James Carter Guest

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Sims 2 keeps crashing before it even starts

When I go to start the sims 2 the title box comes up on my desktop and disappears after 3 seconds and I get a crash report send/don't send dialog box...Is/has anyone having/had this problem and know how to fix it?

I'm running the latest patched version too.

Hmm, the problem I've had with some EA games is that they won't play at certain graphics settings. If you have some custom directX settings being forced at the driver level (like FSAA), perhaps try disabling them first.

James Carter Guest
    Okay I'll try that when I get home from work.

Thanks

James Carter Guest
    Nope, I'm using the default options. Do you have any other ideas?

Try reinstalling the game over itself and see if that helps.

Sometimes they just don't install correctly.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Also, ive had this problem with other EA games games. Have you restarted
    Battle for Middle Earth does this, pops up splash screen and disappears.
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

Here is the Answer from their site.

Here is their Answer Link

A crash or lockup at the loading screen can be caused by a number of conflicts, namely conflicts with programs running in the background, the video and sound card drivers installed, or a corruption in the game files.

Verify that you meet the system requirements as listed on the bottom of the box.
    End background tasks to prevent program conflicts and free up resources for the game.
    If this does not resolve the issue, update your video and sound card drivers.
    If none of the above steps resolves the issue, you will need to completely remove The Sims 2 from the system and then reinstall in order to remove all corrupt game files. The manual uninstall process includes backing up the registry, removing the game's registry keys, deleting the game folders, and permanently deleting the folders prior to reinstalling the game. This is a long set of steps, but it is important to follow them exactly, or the game will not be properly uninstalled.

Click on the Start button.
    Click on Run.
    Type regedit into the text field and then click OK.
    Next, you will have to get to the menu for backing up the registry.
    For Windows 2000/XP, click on File at the top of the window, and then click Export.
    For Windows 98/ME, click on Registry at the top of the window, and then click Export Registry File.
    Select All as the Export Range.
    Name the backup file and choose a location to save it.
    The Desktop is recommended as it is an easy to find location.
    Click Save and a backup of the registry will be saved to the chosen location.
    If you need to restore this data for any reason, just double-click on the file.
    Once you are back at the Registry Editor window, focus only on the left pane of the window. This is the pane that we will be working in.
    Click on the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Click on the plus sign next to SOFTWARE.
    Click on the plus sign next to EA GAMES.
    Right-click on the folder named The Sims 2 and choose Delete.
    Click on the plus sign next to Microsoft.
    Click on the plus sign next to Windows.
    Click on the plus sign next to CurrentVersion.
    Click on the plus sign next to Uninstall.
    Right-click on any of the following folders that you find and choose Delete to remove them.
    {40C03514-89C3-41BA-0090-3B440256DB87} - for the DVD version.
    {8AB8D458-939E-403F-0097-9BA1C1F013D5} - for the CD version.
    {6E7DD182-9FC6-4651-0095-2E666CC6AF35} - for the UK/European edition.
    Close the window.
    Click on the Start button.
    Click on Run.
    Type C:\Program Files\EA GAMES into the text box and click OK.
    Right-click on The Sims 2 folder and choose Delete.
    Close the window.
    Open the My Documents folder.
    Open the EA Games folder.
    Right-click on The Sims 2 folder and choose Delete.
    Close the window.
    Right-click on your Recycle Bin and choose Empty.
    The game is now completely removed from your system. You may now reinstall.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

James Carter Guest
    Thanks Jankerson I've tried both reinstalling and the manual uninstallation. This is driving me crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by James Carter
    Thanks Jankerson I've tried both reinstalling and the manual uninstallation. This is driving me crazy!

Still not working at all?

Try starting the game from a command line windows, it might give you a meaningfull error message.

You might also want to try another video driver or sound card driver. Also there might be patches available for that game, so you also might want to check for them on the developper website.
    Last edited by glussier; December 20th, 2005 at 05:29 PM.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

James Carter Guest
    I've a feeling it might be my sound card. I'm using BETA drivers.

I'm going to remove the sound software and reinstall the standard driver...Shouldn't really have to though.

i had a problem like that with halo, using the reinstall option fixed it. if sims has reinstall try that. mine gave me the option to repair corrupted files. hope it helps

James Carter Guest
    I figured out that it was because I was using two sound cards (I was using the old one for the game port but now I've bought a gameport USB adapter) so I took out the older one and it finally worked.

Unnecessarily lost all my saved sims now though

heya

my sims 2 wont work either but when i started it the sims 2 logo would come up, the screen would go black and then it would say "the application has crashed, the application will now terminate"

so i started to delete some folders stupidly and now when i run autorun (i have vista) it says " the sims 2 has known compatability issues with this version of windows" my vista is reali new and i dont know what to do i have posted stuff in several different forums and noone replied

please make my day and help me please
    XX

SIM2 is probably a bit old too play on Vista

Thread Information