Hard drive help please
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hard drive help please

Hybrid View

Hard drive help please

Hello,
    I just purchased a new computer and have a question on something I am looking to do...

I have an 80gb hard drive currently installed on my pc (it's a 2nd drive). This hard drive is basically a storage drive for all my pictures, music , etc. I would like to remove that drive and install it in the new computer. The hard drive now is one partition. I would like to break it down into 2 Partitions (maybe even 3).

Here are a few questions I'm thinking
    1. Can I unplug the HD from the old pc and plug into the new pc, allowing it to work with the new pc (assuming the drive is compatible)???
    2. Using the above method, to add partitions would I have to remformat the drive?
    3. If I reformat the 2nd hard drive, how do I accomplish that by ONLY formatting that 2nd drive and not messing with the brand new one?
    4. Is there a way to add new partitions without reformatting the drive??

Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated

You ought to be able to pull the old drive, jumper it to be a slave, install it in your new machine and go (be sure that the jumpering on the new machine is correct for that, too).

As to partitioning, you will not be able to do that through Windows without losing what you have. You can do it, though, through a third-party partitioning software like Partition Magic.

If formatting the drive does not worry you, you can do it through disk management (I assume you are using XP). Go to control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management. The drive should show up there, and right-clicking on it should give you a format option and the ability to delete the existing partition on it. When you create a new partition after deleting the old, you can set the size then. But remember-you will lose what is on the drive if you do this through Windows.

Does this answer what you are asking?

You are the man! Thank you very much. Exactly what I was looking for.

My plan is to move everything I want to keep onto the new pc then reformat the 2nd drive. That way I won't lose anything.

Thread Information