hdd burned
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: hdd burned

hdd burned

hey guys,

my main hdd just burned, I don't know what happened, I just turned on my computer and I saw a flame coming out of the hard drive... turned everything off, unplugged it and saw that one of the chips melted so I took it to my local tech guy to recover my files. He said he could just swap the board with another hdd of the same brand.

Turns out he was unsucessful... Is there a way I can recover my files? I have a maxtor diamondmax 80 gig, he tried swapping it with a maxtor diamondmax 120 gig, don't know if that makes a difference.

Most of my important files are on my secondary drive but I still have files that I'd like to recover on my burnt one... anything I can do?

Swapping out the logic boards sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Apparently the match has to be pretty exact-and taking a board from a larger drive may not have been exact enough.

That failing, you may be left with professional data recovery as your only option, and that is very expensive.

well lucky for me the data in there is important but I can live without it and rebuild it... I guess I'll either have to buy the exact same hdd to try to recover it or find someone that has the same one...

thanks for your reply

Thread Information