laptop motherboards
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: laptop motherboards

Hybrid View

laptop motherboards

I have an HP ze4500 laptop and the motherboard is fried.... it won't power up.

Now,I understand desktop hardware... atx mobos need specific ram, cpu slot support and all, but I'm lost when it comes to laptops.

Do they all use the same form factor? .... e.g., what should I look for when crusing ebay for a new/used mobo? Does it have to be specifically built for the same manufacturer and product range?

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnusx197
    Do they all use the same form factor? .... e.g., what should I look for when crusing ebay for a new/used mobo? Does it have to be specifically built for the same manufacturer and product range?
    I'm sure they're getting somewhat more standardized, but probably only within the same manufacturer and product range. Don't stray very far.

My guess is that the boards are specific to the shell of your notebook. If you look at the various notebooks from HP, you'll see that they share the same case, regardless of the specs. For example, all the 14" WXGA models have identical externals. As long as you keep to the "z" line with the same form factor, you might have success.

Maybe this website will help with your research:
    http://www.laptopparts.com/laptop-mo...05Y11Z12Z37YAM
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Yes, I would imagine the motherboard will be very specific to the Laptop. Firstly, the motherboard will have to fit into the mountings, and afterwards, the monitor, USB ports, keyboard and mouse connectors will all have to connect to specific parts of the motherboard.

Your best bet is to find a similar model with a broken screen on ebay and salvage the motherboard. As the other guys have said, I wouldn't stray too far from the exact model that you have.

Nick
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Thread Information