$100 Laptop?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: $100 Laptop?

Hybrid View

$100 Laptop?

Nope, this isn't Spam

It's the result of a project to create cheap laptops for children in developing worlds.

The proposed $100 machine will be a Linux-based, full-color, full-screen laptop that will use innovative power (including wind-up) and will be able to do most everything except store huge amounts of data. This rugged laptop will be WiFi-enabled and have USB ports galore. Its current specifications are: 500MHz, 1GB, 1 Megapixel.

Looks like it has more USB ports than my IBM Thinkpad

I think they'll only be available to governments, which is a shame as I'd quite like to pick one up for this price... well, if they made them in a colour other than lurid green!

MIT Media Lab
    $100 laptop article on BBC News

Nick
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

I do wonder about the $100 price tag.... I have a feeling that governments might start buying them for $100, but that in order to get that price things are going to have to be pretty highly subsidized.

Still, if consumer versions do make it out for $100, the iPod had better look out - this little bugger is a whole lot more capable and cheaper too!
    We all Think Different too.

heh, the iPod is popular not so much because of features, but because of the marketing. It's a very well-known product, and there often are better products available for less. However, people have to have one. Also, there's much to be said about something small that just plays music. Complexity isn't always a necessity.

As for the $100 price tag, I'm guessing that it may not be subsidy, but probably more like a tax-relief approach. Participating vendors will likely get a large tax-deduction. I'd prefer this over subsidizing, anyway, as the program would be less likely to balloon into another big government program.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Yeah, I agree - tax relief is way better than subsidy. I guess we'll see how it goes. They might also be anticipating a certain about of depreciation on the parts, since I'd guess they won't be trying to mass produce for at least a year.
    We all Think Different too.

i saw this featured on the new a few weeks ago.. some little kids were winding it up.. if you could actually buy these for 100 bucks.. every daycare would have 10 of them.. schools could use them for lessons.. a decent graphic calc costs 50 bucks.. they could be standard issue for students to do all there work on.. all homework.. and turn in assignments simply via USB..

let hope there acutally going to be 100 bucks! we have needed a low cost high functionality portable like this..

and you can wind it? i mean comon.. thats so awsome..
    Last edited by Da_man; November 26th, 2005 at 11:12 PM.
    Worlds Loudest Subwoofers.... Nasa technology..
    They sound Great (they also make studio equipment)

-= Digital Designs =-

Disclosure Project

The movement to end the coverup of advanced tech -see Scaler Waves

Classroom machines could bypass the handcrank and run on good ol' AC power.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

ya but then the kids would forget to plug it in.. on purpose.. i'm sure the crank would be used only if the battery is dead and ac isnt close
    Worlds Loudest Subwoofers.... Nasa technology..
    They sound Great (they also make studio equipment)

-= Digital Designs =-

Disclosure Project

The movement to end the coverup of advanced tech -see Scaler Waves

Thread Information