Ultra-portable notebook competition
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Ultra-portable notebook competition

Hybrid View

Ultra-portable notebook competition

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mob...4-roundup.html

Looks to be a multi-part series, and I thought it might be worth posting for those looking for a 12" notebook. They do some fairly extensive reviewing, with battery life tests being one of them.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

I do like that mini-IBM. I've got the T41, and that looks like shrunk version but still seems to have everything mine has!

When I get around to buying another laptop, I think it'll be a small form factor one.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

They aren't too bad, as long as you don't mind the smaller screen. I've used a couple, and they don't bother me too much.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

The IBM's are nice - but that one kind of tanked on the batter life test. I think the Travelmate did very well, and the MSI Megabook was a solid performer (in graphics, particularly). It's also the first time I've actually seen a Turion MT (25w) actually used. It did OK, fitting between the Pentium M and the Pentium M ULV, both in performance and battery life.

The Dialgue Flybook was a really interesting competitor - although it basically shows the Crusoe's power savings are NOT worth the loss in performance, the Pentium M ULV killed it. But, although I did say that battery life wasn't impressive, keep in mind that it is using a 50% smaller batter than the competitors.

The Travelmate and the Samsung, with their dual batter designs are not too bad an idea, although the Travelmate in particular is a total guzzler anyhow.
    We all Think Different too.

Thread Information