Dell Latitude CPi D300XT -- fatal issue - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell Latitude CPi D300XT -- fatal issue

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing. Anyway, is the CPU fan intake on the bottom of the notebook? If so, you might try elevating the notebook off the desk more. This should help with airflow quite a bit. If you're working on something soft like a couch or bed (which they show people doing on TV all the time), then airflow from the bottom is all but cut off, making the internals get VERY hot.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Already ahead of you on that one. The fan is in the back and the exhaust port is on the side. Elevation does nothing.

The fan blows onto the fins which are connected to the heatsink by a copper line, the fan doesn't blow onto the ACTUAL heatsink.

The copper line is probably a heat pipe, which transfers the heat from the sink to the fins. This line is not kinked or flattened at any point?
    When I suggested a shim, I meant to place it so that the heatsink gets pressed more firmly onto the cpu. It should not get between them, unless it's very flat and smooth copper and coated both sides with a very thin film of thermal paste.
    Thermal paste should never be thick.
    Something in there isn't aligned correctly or operating properly.

i did put it on top of the heatsink just as you said. I do have a very thin layer of thermal paste.

It sounds like the heatsink isn't functioning to get the heat off the cpu. That's why I suggested a kink or flattening of the heatpipe or the flat contact area of the heatsink not making proper contact with the cpu.

Will the laptop operate with the case open so that you can get airflow directly to the CPU? I know this is probably something you've considered already but is the cooling fan spinning? They do sieze up at times. One trick you might try is hooking a vacuume cleaner to the exhaust and sucking the air through at high speed. It's a pretty sure way to tell if it's an airflow problem.
    We all Think Different too.

Thread Information