Possible Hard Drive Problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Possible Hard Drive Problem

Hybrid View

Possible Hard Drive Problem

I recently upgraded my computer and did a clean install of XP on a Maxtor SATA 200 gb hard drive. I also have a Maxtor SATA 120 gb hard drive and a Western Digital SATA Raptor 74 gb hard drive. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor and 1 gig (2x512) crucial PC3200 ram. Recently, while playing World of Warcraft, i've noticed it freeze up for a period of several seconds. While this was happening, I noticed the Hard Drive indicator on the front of my case lighting up and staying a solid red. That light is lit whenever the hard drive is thinking, and when the freeze occurs, it is a solid red. I know its not a video card issue cause i just upgraded to the ATI Radeon X850xt. Any suggestions of what the problem is and how to fix it?

It might be System Restore going crazy in the background. Do you usually have it enabled all the time?
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Im not sure. How do I find out if its enabled/disabled?

LINK:
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Right click on "My Computer," select "Properties," then "System Restore." From there, you should see if it's running on any drives you use. I, personally, don't use System Restore, so I disable it to save disk space and cut down on background apps. Disabling it won't hurt your system, but you will lose the ability to use the program when it's disabled. Keep in mind that disabling it erases any restore points, so don't think that you can disable it for everyday use and then re-enable it when you need to restore the system to an earlier time. I don't think System Restore really does much good, so I always have mine turned off.

If nothing else, you can try disabling SR and see if that helps your problem. If not, then you can always turn it back on again.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

What are the amperage ratings on your +12v & +5v leads from your PSU?

Given all the hardware you have, you better have a beefy power supply with plenty of AMPS. The raptor
    Last edited by NetWerx; November 8th, 2005 at 10:13 AM.

Thread Information