November 6th, 2005, 09:33 PM
DVDROM Drive woes
Please ignore my small post count, whenever I've had to call on members here for support, their answers have always been dead on.
Before anything, I want to apologise for the wierd, mish-mash kind of post that may follow, as I'm getting frustrated trying to get this to work.
I was running a Sony DVDRW drive up until recently where I felt it was performing badly (slow to recognise discs, bad DVD playback - now scrapped, so I am unable to supply more details). After checking cables it was still bad, so I went and replaced it with a Philips PBDV16LSP1 (for lightscribe x). Things seemed fine for few hours, then the problems returned. Most annoyingly, the drive doesn't seem to update in my computer when discs are changed (which makes me wonder if it was even a drive problem in the first place).
The IDE cable is new, the drive is the master and only device on that IDE port. It works fine mechanically (new unit, lights are on, seems like someone's home).
Can anyone help?
I can provide more details on request.
Thank you in advance.
November 7th, 2005, 12:10 AM
State components in question.
eg. Brand and model of the mobo/system in question...
"I know nothing."
November 7th, 2005, 04:49 AM
MSI K8N Neo2 Mobo (nForce 2 chipset)
The system was orignally running on the IDE drivers that shipped with the mobo when I got it, rather than the windows ones. It was working fine up until recently. Last night I updated with newer MSI IDE drivers and haven't noticed any change.
Philips PBDV16LSP1 <-- Current Drive
Sony DW-U18A <-- Past Drive
The system was custom built by myself.
November 7th, 2005, 05:37 AM
It could also come from the Power Supply.
Looking intelligent takes more than looking coool.
November 7th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Nothing else seems to be malfunctioning, however.
The PSU is a Jeantech Arctic 600w.
November 7th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Ditch Nvidia (MSI) IDE drivers, use MS Windows generics instead.
November 7th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Okay, just did as you suggested. Removed the IDE drivers and am now running on MS generic drivers.
I tried to install Rome:Total War afterwards. I inserted the first disc and it recognised and read as it used to (at this point I was pleasantly surprised) when it came time to swap to disc 2, problems.
It ejected normally, My Computer updated to show there was no disc in the drive - I took that as a good sign and inserted the second disc. My Computer didn't update correctly (no label for disc, but size of disc reported). Reinserted and nothing was reported. Right clicked on drive icon to eject and My Computer just hung.
Any more ideas? It's about due for a reformat, however, I have a feeling that might not do it.
November 7th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Reinstall might be a good idea, as for drivers thats first advice Id always give.
Simply never, ever use Nvidia IDE drivers they s_uck.
November 7th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Ahh-- got it, what's so bad about them? O_o
November 7th, 2005, 01:34 PM
All sorts of problems, like some recorders burning coasters, temporarily freezing the system while accessing CD/DVD, slow transefer speeds, DVD-Ram problems, should I go on
November 7th, 2005, 03:02 PM
How do you eject the disk, by the button on the drive or by right click on the menu in Win?
If you're doing it by the button, does it make a difference if you do it by software?
Never need to apologise for asking questions around here, even with a post count of 1.
Last edited by DanceMan; November 7th, 2005 at 03:04 PM.
November 7th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Yea the SW drivers are a REAL PITA sometimes, noticed my buffer levels stay at max now since i stopped using the nvidia drivers for IDE since my Nforce 2.
R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy
By the way, what does BTW stand for?
It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
November 7th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Ohh, I see -- thanks for the heads up, everyone.
DanceMan -- I have tried both ways. Originally, I just used to use the button on the drive, then when it started to act funny I started ejecting discs in windows. (for example, swapping discs for RTW, the label remains as disc 1, even with disc 2 inside - when I right click to 'open' the disc up, it shows disc 1 contents. Trying to access anything, however, hangs the system.)
It doesn't seem to make a difference, both ways seem to suffer the same cluelessness. Also, once when I was watching a movie (horror, just my luck) it had poor play back, so I switched the disc for some other random thing - the horror movie played back despite not being in the drive, which I can only imagine to be some data left in a buffer or something. At the time, it was quite scary.
Also, people around here are always very friendly and helpful.. that's why I always come back here when I get stuck =)
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)