Please ignore my small post count, whenever I've had to call on members here for support, their answers have always been dead on.
Before anything, I want to apologise for the wierd, mish-mash kind of post that may follow, as I'm getting frustrated trying to get this to work.
I was running a Sony DVDRW drive up until recently where I felt it was performing badly (slow to recognise discs, bad DVD playback - now scrapped, so I am unable to supply more details). After checking cables it was still bad, so I went and replaced it with a Philips PBDV16LSP1 (for lightscribe x). Things seemed fine for few hours, then the problems returned. Most annoyingly, the drive doesn't seem to update in my computer when discs are changed (which makes me wonder if it was even a drive problem in the first place).
The IDE cable is new, the drive is the master and only device on that IDE port. It works fine mechanically (new unit, lights are on, seems like someone's home).
The system was orignally running on the IDE drivers that shipped with the mobo when I got it, rather than the windows ones. It was working fine up until recently. Last night I updated with newer MSI IDE drivers and haven't noticed any change.
Philips PBDV16LSP1 <-- Current Drive
Sony DW-U18A <-- Past Drive
Okay, just did as you suggested. Removed the IDE drivers and am now running on MS generic drivers.
I tried to install Rome:Total War afterwards. I inserted the first disc and it recognised and read as it used to (at this point I was pleasantly surprised) when it came time to swap to disc 2, problems.
It ejected normally, My Computer updated to show there was no disc in the drive - I took that as a good sign and inserted the second disc. My Computer didn't update correctly (no label for disc, but size of disc reported). Reinserted and nothing was reported. Right clicked on drive icon to eject and My Computer just hung.
Any more ideas? It's about due for a reformat, however, I have a feeling that might not do it.
DanceMan -- I have tried both ways. Originally, I just used to use the button on the drive, then when it started to act funny I started ejecting discs in windows. (for example, swapping discs for RTW, the label remains as disc 1, even with disc 2 inside - when I right click to 'open' the disc up, it shows disc 1 contents. Trying to access anything, however, hangs the system.)
It doesn't seem to make a difference, both ways seem to suffer the same cluelessness. Also, once when I was watching a movie (horror, just my luck) it had poor play back, so I switched the disc for some other random thing - the horror movie played back despite not being in the drive, which I can only imagine to be some data left in a buffer or something. At the time, it was quite scary.
Also, people around here are always very friendly and helpful.. that's why I always come back here when I get stuck =)