Burn CD, Won't Play on stereo system
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Burn CD, Won't Play on stereo system

Burn CD, Won't Play on stereo system

When I burn a CD it will only play on the car CD player. It will not play on my home stereo system CD player. I am using Roxio Easy CD Player V5.0. My home stereo CD player is about 6 to 8 years old. An Onkyo 6 CD turntable. My car is only about a 1.5 years old so the player is pretty new. Are there any software setting that will help.

If this is the case, your stereo might not be able to read CR-RW.
    Also if you burned a "data" cd with MP3's, your car might handle it but not the stereo. Apart from that, I never had problem playing a burnt cd on a stereo.
    Looking intelligent takes more than looking coool.

Yeah, older stereos can have some problems recognising burned CDs, either having a hard time detecting the beginning of a track, or just not detecting the disc at all.

Older drives' ability to play burned CD-Rs can vary between CD brands, so you could always try a few different brands to see which ones work in both your stereo and car.

However, like Ponch said, if it's CD-RW (rewritable) and not CD-R you are talking about, these are even harder to read on older equipment. I have a '94 Sanyo discman that doesn't even spin when a CD-RW is in...

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Are you closing the sessions when you burn?
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Most 6-8 yr old home players should still be able to play burnt CD-R's. Others have mentioned most of these but let me summarize what (and in what order) you should check.

1. Make sure you are burning "CDA" format and not data format.

2. Make sure you are closing both the session and the disk.

3. Try better media. Dont use CD-RW and try some high quality 74min CD-R's if you can still get them. If you are absolutely sure that you are doing 1. and 2. above correctly then it might be worth experimenting with different brands of CD-R to find which one gives you the best compatibility.

BTW, can you give any more info on exactly what happens when you try to play one of these burnt CD's. Is the disc recognized or not, does the player display any information or error message of any kind?
    Last edited by uart; November 6th, 2005 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks for the replies. I slowed the write speed down to 4MB/s and instead of finalzing the session at the end manually I set it to finalize when finished. This seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by hbendillo
    Thanks for the replies. I slowed the write speed down to 4MB/s and instead of finalzing the session at the end manually I set it to finalize when finished. This seems to work.
    Yes for maximum compatabilty you definitely want to avoid writing an open session. Even if you finalize the disc later it's not the same as writing the entire CD in "disc at once" mode, which is the best for compatabilty.

BTW: Chances are the speed reduction is unnecessary, burning at about 16x to 24x should give you perfect results.

Edit : Whoops I thought you said you dropped the speed to 4x, I just re-read and see you said 4MB/sec. Yes that speed should be just fine (4M/sec is about 24x for CD-R's), I've found speeds above 24x only give relatively small reduction in burn times anyway.
    Last edited by uart; November 8th, 2005 at 11:50 AM.

I am looking for anyone who can tell me how to force an old stereo to play CD RW's. I have read all sorts of reasons why it won't work like 1) Disk Application Flag on the CD R information being the only thing that is allowed to be played on the stereo to zin budda objection. Can the dimple be undimpled or is the onboard firmware always going to prohibit this?

Thanks in advance.

I don't like being beaten with technology. I am in hopes of some how making the CD RW seem as though it is a CD R so they will play on this old stereo.

Thread Information