Thinkpads hit the Retail shelves
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Thinkpads hit the Retail shelves

Hybrid View

Thinkpads hit the Retail shelves

http://news.com.com/ThinkPad+returns...l?tag=nefd.top

Consumers will be able to purchase either a ThinkPad Z60t widescreen or a ThinkPad T43 with biometric fingerprint readers starting Sunday, China's Lenovo Group said. The laptops will retail starting at $699--a 50 percent price drop from their usual $1,399 price tag online. The computers are expected to compete with similar designs from Office Depot's other PC suppliers: Hewlett-Packard, Sony and Toshiba.

It's the first time ThinkPad-branded computers have sat on store shelves since IBM backed out of the retail business in 1999 in favor of a direct-sales model.
    I just thought I'd throw that out there. Pretty big change for the Thinkpad. I wonder if this will boost sales, and if the $699 model is as solid as the Thinkpads made by IBM before the Lenovo deal? Comments?
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

I suspect a retail presence will boost sales; many people like being able to hold and touch before forking over the cash.

As for build quality, only time will tell. Lenovo seem pretty keen to leverage the IBM branding they bought rights to while they can, but that doesn't mean what's under the hood will be anything like the old IBM.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Time will tell, I guess. It will be very interesting to see if Lenovo can do without the IBM connection when that expires in a bit. What is going to sell is quality and reliability for a competitive price, as always. That means, among other things, either not having a machine breaking down or, if it does, having the warranty service work correctly. IBM's warranty work, in my albeit limited experience, was pretty great on business machines.

I see that HP has a Turion business laptop with a three-year warranty for under $1,000 US (HP nx6125-$968 at Newegg). That is real competition. I am a big fan of longer warranties.

lol, I like the last picture of that HP unit.
    link

Think the rounded box corners are an HP product design feature, or a FedEx/UPS feature? At least there's no huge dents...

lol, I guess its just your usual kick in the box by your friendly disgruntled delivery guy

As fo Lenovo, if anything I expect them to do better as IBM did with its last batch of notebooks, cause there were some problems with T42 series.
    Now if they could only ditch those unreliable Hitachi drives and they would have a winner on their hands.

I Still don't see any at that price.

http://castle.pricewatch.com/s/searc...=ThinkPad+Z60t
    Last edited by Leoslocks; November 10th, 2005 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leoslocks
    I Still don't see any at that price.

http://castle.pricewatch.com/s/searc...=ThinkPad+Z60t
    Yeah, I agree, Leo. I checked the Office Depot flyers in the paper this past Sunday and I went to the local store a day or so ago. The flyers talked about selling Thinkpads, but no great prices. Plus, I was surprised to see that the store had none in inventory.

Maybe it takes a while to ramp up.

I see them being offered by Lenovo. There is a review up at LaptopLogic

Nice machine for $800

It's a shame Thinkpads are so ugly. If they'd just ditch the cheesy multi-colored IBM logo, it'd be a start in the right direction.

Thread Information