laptop turns off with a beep
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: laptop turns off with a beep

Unhappy laptop turns off with a beep

hi i am not able to use my laptop because recently it suddenly beeped and turned off. and then every time i tried to turn it on and it would beep and turn off.
    After a while i turned it on and it went off again even before the blue sign in screen.
    Now since i don't use it or turn it on again and again every time i try to check if it turns on. it turns on and goes past sign in. i even see my desktop but right after the desktop when the things are loading it beeps and shuts off. that's the most it does now.
    what could be the problem?
    and once it beeps and turn off if i try to turn it on right away at that point. it would beep and i wouldn't hear any thing (internal sounds)and the screen would go wierd like the credits going after a movie screen runs like that upward and i hear nothing from laptop sometimes the power light remains on.
    what is the problem? does any one know, help!!! i need to know what happened to it.

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? Try tapping F8 during the boot process and see if you can get there, then post back.

From the descriptions it sounds like this could be a heat issue, since you get further in the boot process when you leave it off for a while. Give us complete specifications for the laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1763 View Post
    Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? Try tapping F8 during the boot process and see if you can get there, then post back.
    No I wasnt. i hit F8 and i was able to see the black screen with the options but before i could chosoe it turned off again

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan View Post
    From the descriptions it sounds like this could be a heat issue, since you get further in the boot process when you leave it off for a while. Give us complete specifications for the laptop.
    this is thelaptop that i have
    Toshiba Satellite 2415- S205
    mobile intel pentium processor 2.0Ghz-M
    256mb ddr sdram
    40gb HDD
    (no memory or internal updates)
    it has windows XP SP2 or 3 installed , i dont remember.
    note: i dont have default windows xp. i had formated the pc before and the last windows xp i installed was not from Toshiba recovery cds.

I think that DanceMan is on the right track as to it acting like a heat issue. Have you checked to make sure that the air intake and exhaust vents for the CPU fan are open and clear of dust, etc?

I'd try these measures:

Vacuum out the intake and exhaust grilles using the crevice tool (the one with the narrow opening).
    Use compressed air to blow out any remaining dust.
    If the problem persists, determine if the cpu heatsink fan is running. It may have died.

Here is a site with Toshiba dis-assembly guides.

Thread Information