BIOS password has me completely stumped!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIOS password has me completely stumped!

BIOS password has me completely stumped!

A friend gave me this pink MSI "Wind" notebook of her daughter's to fix, but there is a password on the BIOS I cannot get past. I have disconnected the battery overnight (under the back panel), yet the password remains! I have unplugged every single thing I could unplug (that I was confident would be easy to put back), and still the BIOS password remains! This password also blocks me from accessing the boot options.

So I tried to take the hard drive out and scan it with SUPERAntiSpyware, and a LOT of things got cleaned, but when I try to run it, all of the network hardware has yellow exclamations and doesn't work. There are craploads of suspicious entries under start up, but those are disabled now. The thing runs quite nicely now save that I cannot get any network hardware working.

Ultimately if I could just re-install XP I would just do that, but until I figure my way past that password I am screwed! So has anybody got any clues?

I read somewhere that some current laptops have password protection that cannot even be bypassed by removing the tiny bios battery.

Well if you had the service manual there might be some default passwords in there.

I was troubleshooting my Acer laptop quite a month ago and fortunately found a site where I could download its service manual, tho it might have not been legal..

That Laptop may have a "hidden jumper", usally located beneath the Memory, remove memory, and take a wire and short the 2 pins. I forget the exact location, some also have it placed elsewhere. Best method to find, download CPUZ, get model/make of Motherboard and then search for "Clear BIOS Password "insert motherboard model here" ". You should be able to find the procedure.

CPUZ site,

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    486 CPU/32MB Memory/Windows 3.11(it rocks!) Sigh.........the good ol Days........

Quote Originally Posted by Perce View Post
    That Laptop may have a "hidden jumper", usally located beneath the Memory, remove memory, and take a wire and short the 2 pins. I forget the exact location, some also have it placed elsewhere. Best method to find, download CPUZ, get model/make of Motherboard and then search for "Clear BIOS Password "insert motherboard model here" ". You should be able to find the procedure.

CPUZ site,

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    No such luck. The Wind models factory memory is actually part of the motherboard. The expansion slot it just above it. I have also hear that some newer laptops are purposely being manufactured with no way to ever breach a BIOS password once one is set, for security reasons. I have actually heard a lot of things now, and I have googled it extensively, and there just is no way one can get past the Wind's BIOS. I even asked on the MSI forums, but the moderator closed the thread and told me they will not help me hack into other people's systems. I guess they have never repaired many other folk's computers, because forgotten passwords are incredibly common. I really hate to do it, but I am just going to have to tell her her little pink laptop is toast and cannot be repaired.

There is actually one more Idea I had, but I kind of hesitate to do it, for fear it may not work either. I have a little Dell Mini 9, and it has a solid state drive. I wonder if I could use it and set up Windows on the hard drive from the Wind via the USB, and then reinstall it to the Wind? Seems like a long shot buut they are both intel atom chips, and I am about out of options.

That won't work, the bios password will prevent you from accessing any of the hardware. Unless you can find a way to bypass the bios password on these new laptop, you will need to replace the motherboard.

I'm not sure what you mean? When I say via USB I mean one of those SATA to USB adapters. Removing the whole drive from the Wind. The hardware in the Dell and the Wind, so far as the chipset should be very similar. Then when I reinstall the drive into the Wind I'd then put the driver software on. Seems like a long shot even so, but isn't it worth a try?

Quote Originally Posted by markjs View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean? When I say via USB I mean one of those SATA to USB adapters. Removing the whole drive from the Wind. The hardware in the Dell and the Wind, so far as the chipset should be very similar. Then when I reinstall the drive into the Wind I'd then put the driver software on. Seems like a long shot even so, but isn't it worth a try?
    You can try it.

I doubt that would work since the first item in the boot process is to load the bios, the bios would then perform checks of the basic hardware, then pass control to the first boot device. In this case, the bios will not load due to the bios password. Setting and forgetting the bios password is a pretty serious thing on a newer laptop. A lot of the OEM would basically tell you to send in the laptop for a motherboard replacement.

Or sending it in for a very expensive bios reset, at which point you look at buying another on sale and parting out the existing one as an alternative.

OK, setting up Ubuntu on my Dell with her drive plugged into the USB. I figured if anything would be able to work and maybe ignore slight hardware differences that Ubuntu was the "go to OS". Plus it is for this lady's kid, who obviously isn't one of the more tech savvy ones (or maybe it is her siblings). In any case it should be harder to screw it up again very quickly!

May not boot up properly because of hardware differences. Would a copy of an Ubuntu live cd onto the hdd be a better attempt? Either would have to get past that bios lock.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan View Post
    May not boot up properly because of hardware differences. Would a copy of an Ubuntu live cd onto the hdd be a better attempt? Either would have to get past that bios lock.
    That's the problem. It only boots from the internal hard drive. Perhaps it might make an exception if that was blank though?

What I meant was if the internal hard drive had a copy of a live linux disk, just as on a cd, so that it could boot and set itself up for any hardware it detected.

I took it that the bios lock is preventing anything from booting, including the original OS on the original hdd.

As you can see I am not that well versed in such problems but I am learning!

Well I am cautiously optimistic that I found a solution but it may take a bit of patience. Ubuntu didn't work because the hardware is just too different between the two netbooks but OSX86 on the other hand may be just the thing. I am using iDeneb 1.5 (10.5.7) and it actually supposedly supports the U100 Wind. I tried once but it was before I knew it was supported and there is an option in the set up specifically for this computer. Even so it booted up, with sound and I heard that god awful stupid "X" intro music. The problem was though that it had the screen res wrong and I could not see the mouse click buttons. So yeat another install, but I will let you all know how it goes!

My theory though is that OSX86 for clones is purposely made to work with diverse and slightly differing hardware that the original was not ever intended for.

Thread Information