wanted.s3 trio32/64 drivers
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: wanted.s3 trio32/64 drivers

wanted.s3 trio32/64 drivers

just set up a new comp,but had only a pci video card named s3 trio32/64.
    pretty old i know,but wondering if anybody could give me the drivers for this v/c.
    we have been around most of the web,but cant seem to find them.
    be very grateful if someone can.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by commando123
    just set up a new comp,but had only a pci video card named s3 trio32/64.
    pretty old i know,but wondering if anybody could give me the drivers for this v/c.
    we have been around most of the web,but cant seem to find them.
    be very grateful if someone can.
    thanks.
    I'm assuming that you are running Windows XP. The driver for that card is available on the Windows CD or you can get the latest using Microsoft Windows Update function.

Info available here.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

If you need one for an older version of Windows, the S3 website is at www.s3graphics.com. Otherwise, www.driverguide.com is a good resource for this sort of stuff too.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

s3 trio

Quote Originally Posted by Tuttle
    If you need one for an older version of Windows, the S3 website is at www.s3graphics.com. Otherwise, www.driverguide.com is a good resource for this sort of stuff too.
    Tuttle.
    went to the sites you said,but couldnt get the s3 trio32/64 drivers,also tried updating the winxp updates,but no joy there neither.
    getting pretty desperate now,as scrolling pages is a no go.
    have tried everywhere on the net,but i will try again.
    thanks.

Perhaps Windows does not recognize your graphic cards correctly and installed the wrong drivers. I had this problem when installing my Network Card and it refuses to work with the default drivers. I had to install the drivers manually for it to work.

My suggestion is to download the S3 graphic chip identifier here. From there locate the compatible driver and install it manually.

Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by Ratt; October 12th, 2005 at 11:55 AM.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"

Oh boy it's been a long time since I heard of an S3 Trio. In anycase, how come you don't wanna shell out some cheap cash to get a small PCI video card? They cost less than $20 a pop i think.

Beats the heck out of trying to find a driver for that old S3. I'd say its safer too because if you use the old S3 in a new operating system like XP or in the upcoming Vista, I'm not sure that Microsoft will lend you the support you need.

Are you setting up the PC for a friend or for your own use? I have set up many old PCs in the past and I understand that old drivers are a big problem. Like you I hate hunting around for the latest drivers just to get an old PC to work.

Have you tried searching around the Internet for drivers? Try www.windrivers.com (I think) which should have the full set of what you want. I hope.

s3

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Perhaps Windows does not recognize your graphic cards correctly and installed the wrong drivers. I had this problem when installing my Network Card and it refuses to work with the default drivers. I had to install the drivers manually for it to work.

My suggestion is to download the S3 graphic chip identifier here. From there locate the compatible driver and install it manually.

Let us know how it goes.
    Ratt
    thanks for the info.
    doing this for a friend,hasnt much money,i know he should just get another v/c,but you cant tell people that.
    i got him a new mobo,hdd,mem,and amd cpu.the mobo is an asus nforce2.
    when i loaded winxp,it refused to load the agp to pci driver.
    he had an old agp card by the name of "kyro".
    in the end,i took out the agp,and put in his s3 pci card,and immediately,the agp to pci driver loaded.
    so im wondering wether the agp slot is no good,or the card is no good.
    its an old card,5yrs old i think,worked in his old comp.
    im wondering if the newer cards agp today work off a different voltage than the old agp cards did in the bios.
    could you enlighten me on this?
    have sent him the piece of software to get the details of his card.

Sorry, for the late reply... Just returned from a trip.

Kyro is not a S3 graphics card but a PowerVR card. The good news is they have drivers for XP. The bad news is I haven't used those cards before so I can't give any first hand experience.

PowerVR Drivers

PowerVR FAQ

I hope that helps.

s3

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Sorry, for the late reply... Just returned from a trip.

Kyro is not a S3 graphics card but a PowerVR card. The good news is they have drivers for XP. The bad news is I haven't used those cards before so I can't give any first hand experience.

PowerVR Drivers

PowerVR FAQ

I hope that helps.
    Ratt
    no problem about the late reply.
    i have sent him the drivers for the s3trio pci card,so im waiting for him to reply.
    thanks for your interest in this.
    in the end,i think he will have to buy a cheap agp card,they dont cost a lot.

Thread Information