Dell Inspiron memory error
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Dell Inspiron memory error

Question Dell Inspiron memory error

I've got a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop which is now playing up.
    When I start it up, it gives 2 loud bleeps and shows this message:
    "The amount of system memory has changed or the suspend_to_disk file is absent.
    ERROR 0232: Extended Ram Failed at offset:1B"
    It is running windows 95.
    Can anyone please help?
    Thanks,
    Wiff

Sounds like something is really wrong if you get 2 beeps from the system. If you can, try to change the RAM, as it may be at fault. Judging by the fact that it's running Win95, I'm assuming it's an old notebook. Your chances of finding the right RAM might be difficult. If you can post the specs of the sytem, that would be nice.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

That notebook has two RAM slots. Are both full or just one?

RAM for that model is still around. Crucial has it. SDRAM, PC100 SODIMM. See this link.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...ries&submit=Go

Okay. As long as it's SDRAM and is in SoDimm form, you should be able to find it pretty easily. I think that even Best Buy has it in stock. It might be worth it to buy it locally to see if it helps. If it doesn't you can always return it. It might even be better to take it to a local PC shop and see if they will test some new RAM in it. Those local shops are usually pretty helpful, especially if they can get a sale out of it.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Dells are very picky about memory.

Goto www.crucial.com and get your memory.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

I second Jankerson's suggestion. Crucial isn't the cheapest, but they garuntee compatibility and I've had 100% success buying modules from them for proprietary hardware (including Dell).

However, I suggest that you first enter the BIOS and see how much memory it has (or thinks it has). It's usually TAB, or Delete, ot F2, F5 or F8 with Dell. Most Dell BIOS have a listing for "Installed memory" some even break it down into Bank 0 and Bank 1. If you have to modules, and one has died, you will get the 'memory size changed' error. If you simply enter the BIOS and then leave saving changes (although you haven't made any), often Dells will stop posting the error and just boot.

However, there IS another possibility. I don't have an Inspiron 7000 to test on, but it might NOT be RAM at all. When you enter the BIOS, see if the HDD is recognized. The "two beeps" is also a standard code for "no boot sector found."

This is JUST a precaution. The fact that it's pointing to a bad memory adress in the error makes it 90% certain that you've lost a memory Module, but it would be best to eliminate the other options.
    We all Think Different too.

Tried reseating the RAM or cleaning the contacts?
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

The laptop actually belongs to a friend I'm trying to help, so I don't know the spec. until I see him Tuesday.I know he fitted a new memory,but it made no difference.The spec. of the memory he put in was:
    (A333GT)
    Standard Memory : 64MB or 128MB (Non-Removable)
    Maximum Memory : 320MB or 384MB
    Total Memory Slots : 2
    Memory Type : 144-Pin PC66 SODIMM
    Thanks for your time.
    Wiff

When finding ram for a computer of this vintage, the main issue in ram compatibility is ram density, which translates for us into the number of chips on the stick relative to the size of the stick in Mb. Many of the chipset bios of this era had a certain number of address lines available, and higher density ram that came along later required more. You can often learn about the numbers of chips on a given stick you're looking for by studying the pix on an eBay search, or a google search of memory resellers.
    The other issue is the speed. The PC66 your friend put in is slower than the PC100 commonly available, but its slower speed almost guarantees that it will have enough lower capacity chips to be compatible with any early laptop's chipset and bios, from the late Pentium MMX' through the Pentium 366(ish) PII's that use the 66MHz fsb. PII's with the 100Mhz fsb would require at least PC100, but would likely be able to accept 256Mb sticks. A laptop bios almost never has available the settings in the bios to take advantge of ram faster than the fsb of the cpu.
    Last edited by DanceMan; October 9th, 2005 at 07:59 PM.

Here is what Crucial recommends:

Go HERE

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

My friends laptop is running windows 98, and not 95.I shouldn't think that makes alot of difference, but I'm sorry for misleading you. He's decided to buy a refurbished motherboard off e-bay.Hopefully that will put things right,Iwill let you know,
    Thanks, Wiff

I think the system has 64 meg onboard and two slots that accept 128.

64+128+128 = 320 max memory. If he added a stick that was not compatable(he fitted a new memory), then the same error will appear. You have gotten great advise on troubleshooting the situation. Ordering a new (refurbished) motherboard without stepping through these suggestions seems a little insane. I applaud your efforts to help him though.

Replacing the motherboard on a laptop is not for the faint of heart.

Thread Information