iPod Nano "Stress Tests"
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPod Nano "Stress Tests"

Hybrid View

Talking iPod Nano "Stress Tests"

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3

You might be hearing some talk about iPod Nano's scratching easy. Well, this review pretty much sums up the durability of Apple's newest mp3 player.

To simulate everyday accidents that could result in a broken iPod, we came up with a few situations that we felt would ultimately leave the nano lifeless:

1. Sitting on the iPod nano
    2. Dropping it while jogging (4-6mph),
    3. Dropping at various speeds: 8-10mph (slow bicycle), 15-20mph (fast bicycle), 30mph (slow car), and 50mph (fast car)
    4. Dropping the nano from various heights.
    It's worth a read, if only to laugh at the sheer abuse they give it. Amazingly, the thing took a major beating before it stopped playing music.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

they ran it over with a car, twice!

pretty kick ***, nice player really it would be great addition to my regular ipod, as i cant really take that everywhere.

i wish the regular was that durable, those things break at the first drop, but you can credit toshiba's hdd's for that

that makes me so mad, that they would do that to a perfectly good ipod when i cant affort one!!

heh, true, but it is nice to know that a solid state MP3 device like this one can take a super beating. While I doubt anyone would do this intentionally, accidents do happen. I've dropped my Zen a few times, but it still works just fine. I just dropped mine on the carpet though.

the harddrives can only withstand like a 3ft drop to a hard surface, i can sort of back that up so be careful. im surprised there isnt more drive padding inside ipods, theyre in there rigidly with minimal stiff rubber to pad.

Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

According to BBC news, it's really not that hard to break the thing:

Owners have been complaining about cracked, scratched or inexplicably failing screens, sometimes within hours of buying the machine.
    Looks like it's one to avoid to be honest.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

Well, much arguing has been going on about the nano's durability. After reading arstechnica, you wouldn't think they were fragile.

the lcd screens are the most vulnerable part in nano's. in ipods its the drive, but still many people had lcd problems in the regulars so still having them with the nano isnt surprising me

Reminds me of when I stress-tested an Mac SE and an IBM PC Junior. The SE's integrated CRT failed awfully quickly, but the PC Junior survived about a 10m tumble from a 3rd floor fire escape (once, it did NOT work on the second try).

But yeah... being mostly solid state (with the exception of the LCD) probably makes the things pretty easy to make durable.
    We all Think Different too.

lol, the abuse continues:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...2005/10/4/1417

Someone accidentally ran it through the washing machine!

Indeed, water did seem to seep through every part of the nano, including the precious screen, but after some drying and not too many stupid moves (I don't know that I would have plugged it in immediately while it still had water inside), the nano was able to dry out enough to make a full recovery.
    Heh, I guess I'm not terribly surprised. Solid state items can survive a good dousing if you let them dry out well enough. My uncle had his pager drop into the toilet (thankfully a clean bowl), and it worked for years afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeOnTheTree
    (thankfully a clean bowl)

In high school I was present when a friend of mine (against my advice) threw a bucket of water on a faultly fire-control system board. It was, he claimed, 'driving him crazy' with a noise it was producing (the noise indicated that it required maintainance). It definitely did not like being soaked. All the little LEDs went from Green to Amber to Red, and the fire strobes and sirens began flashing and sounding (albiet not continuously). Amazingly, when it dried out it was OK.

I also had a friend who had taken a (not-ruggedized) laptop canoing. He capsized in a river in Northern Maine and completely soaked it. He had, brilliantly, been keeping the battery removed from the laptop.

After two days in a food dehyrator, it worked fine too. As I understand it, most solid-state devices are really only hurt by corrosion (assuming they have no power going trhough them) if they remain submerged for too long.

lol, a laptop on a float trip!

Having an indoor-outdoor job, my work cellphone gets soaked from time to time. A little windsheild time over the defroster usually brings it right back.

Yeah, I've soaked my various cell phones time and time again. Lost one skiing once and someone picked it up. Called my friend (who I was skiing with) and asked for me. It probably spent about 2 hrs in the snow but was fine.

Thread Information