Triple 17" LCD
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Triple 17" LCD

Triple 17" LCD

Some of you may have seen my earlier post where I was talking about getting dual 17" LCDs as an upgrade to my 15" (14" viewable) CRT.

I paid 250 + 10 shipping for the two LCDs, but when the courier arrived, there was only one monitor. I phoned up the company and told them what happened. I was phoned back a few minutes later and told that the courier firm had lost a monitor, and I would be sent another one the next day (today).

This morning another courier arrived with... two monitors! I now have three, for a combined desktop of 3840 x 1024. I can only use one until my DVI to VGA connector arrives, and I think I will buy a cheap PCI gfx card so that I can use the third. It looks awesome - takes up my entire desk, and blocks out the construction site I can see outside my window, leaving me with a lovely view of fields and trees!

Here is a picture:

And I took another one with my tablet on the desk, just because it looks so completely OTT:

Pretty sweet!

Hopefully they don't figure out the mistake and ask for the extra one back.

They do make some wide desktop backgrounds for dual and tri-monitor settups. It looks pretty cool. I noticed you have three windows and three LCDs sitting in front of them. You can set you desktop background to be whatever you want so instead of a constuction site, you can image you live on a beach in the Bahamas.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Haha! Nice one.

my friend has a similar setup, as he "works" from home by buying and selling bets on betting exchanges like betfair.com . This means he has to be 'sportmaster' and know every single bit of sporting news as it happens, as well as being able to monitor two betting exchanges simultaneously.

I don't think he got any of his monitors free though - looks like you did pretty well there

this has got me wondering, are there any games which support 3 monitors. It would be pretty cool for flight / driving sims, and even BF2, etc.
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

I think ol' man runs (or ran) a three monitor setup.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy27
    ...are there any games which support 3 monitors. It would be pretty cool for flight / driving sims, and even BF2, etc.
    When Matrox released the Parhelia triple-head card they demonstrated Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Flight Simulator 200X (or something), but this wasn't native support I don't think and games needed to be featured in the drivers. The other downside for FPS games was that the bitmapped graphics on the HUD, like crosshair and health etc., were stretched 3x wider. The upside is obvious, the truly massive peripheral vision allowing you to see your attackers approaching from the side. It's still a shame they didn't make the 3D performance cutting edge like with the old G400MAX, then the Parhelia would have been more popular and Matrox could have once again held the gaming and all round video crown.

Oliy, get us some pictures of it all setup when you get that PCI card installed, it's looking damned good already.

BB.
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

MS Flight Sim supports multiple monitors. I don't think I have the grunt in my system to do any gaming on multiple monitors, but I'm starting to wish I did - games like Command & Conquer would be awesome.

Got my DVI -> VGA this morning, so I'm now running 2, and I've got a Matrox G200 PCI on the way for the 3rd monitor. I'll take a few more pics then, I've also got a few 3840x1024 desktops ready to stretch across. I was also toying with the idea of making a panoramic collage of the view out of my windows and putting that on the desktop, so that my monitors would appear invisible :P

If you are using SLI can you use them to provide two separate outputs, as in one card per monitor? Not that I could afford SLI.

I'm sure Ol'man has a triple display too. If you're reading this, are there any tips you can give me for ease of use?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliy
    I was also toying with the idea of making a panoramic collage of the view out of my windows and putting that on the desktop, so that my monitors would appear invisible :P
    Funnily enough I was gonna suggest the same thing. Apple did a very effective April Fool along those lines, and claimed they had made the world's first transparent monitor. It was quite convincing at first glance
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

I actually saw a website where people submitted pictures they made of their "invisible monitors". They did it with LCDs and laptops mostly. They even had pictures of their hands behind the screan and stuff like that.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Those effects, of course, are only possible from one POV at a time. Cute on-line, but totally unconvincing to the onlooker with the benfit of parallax.

Anyway, Oliy, I hate to burst your bubble, but they probably will track you down. I used to build PCs, and recieved duplicate orders many, many times. As a general policy, I would say nothing, but leave the 'free' item unopened for about a month. I did once get a 'free' scanner, but all the other items were eventually sought after by their senders.

One tactic, though, that I found worked VERY well was that when they called, I would offer to purchase the item (at a considerable discount), thus saving them the return shipping and restocking hastle. Many times, they took me up on it... often discounting items by $75-100 in order to just make the sale and recoup their costs.

Anyway, the Matrox Parahelia has the best tri-display drivers - giving you lots of options that the windows multi-screen modes usually does not. However, the 3-d support was never great, and at this point it's beyond obsolete.

Even without SLI, however, there are at least a small scattering of PCIe-1x cards (Matrox definitely has one) that are designed specifically to add screen area.
    We all Think Different too.

Yeah, you'd hope that a business would know that they sent out 3 monitors from their inventory. These aren't boxes of toothpicks, they are $300+ monitors! I would expect them to contact you eventually.

Actually, a long time ago when I built my very first system, I thought that the vendor forgot to send me my RAM. I called them up, and I was suprised when they told me that they record the packaging process, and that they would check the footage! Upon further inspection, I found the RAM taped to another package. I did call them back and tell them I found it, but I was surprised that they took such precautions!
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

I've checked the boxes on a theory my friend came up with, and he was right: the courier found the original box and delivered it the next day, along with the extra one the company sent, as there are two monitors dated 20th and one dated 21st, but I only recieved one on the 20th, and two on the 21st.

This means the courier will have reimbursed the company for the lost one, but actually delivered it. So if anyone loses out, it will be the courier's insurance company.

Hmm... could be. Here in the states, the couriers make you sign for just about everything. And if you are not there to sign, they will take it away to a depot (often 20-50 KM away) and make to pick it up.
    We all Think Different too.

Thread Information