hp ze4500 won't boot - mobo prob?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: hp ze4500 won't boot - mobo prob?

hp ze4500 won't boot - mobo prob?

I have an HP ze4500 laptop which was having intermittent power failures when on battery, so I've been using it plugged in for a while and it worked fine.

While plugged in, it suffered a power failure and I didn't smell any smoke.
    Now, when I push the power button, the LED's light up, but it shuts off again after 1 second.... it doesn't even get to POST.

I tried removing the battery, holding the power switch for 1 min. and booting from a/c only, removing the ram and letting it sit for a couple of days... you know, tips you find on google, but nothing works.

What could it possibly be? Motherboard or power supply?

My suggestion would be go to one of the small comp shops where they still fix computers and see if they are willing to look whats up and not charge too much for it. Laptops are really difficult to fix yourself especially with the kind of problem you described and original parts and repairs are extremly expensive.

BTW I was never to fond of HP SoHo line, business line is really a lot less "accident prone" and NC line is the one to go for when buying HP.

Thanks falcon. Yeah, lesson learned. I won't be buying HP again.
    I've had 3 dells and never had a problem.

Have you tried calling HP? With Laptops and boot issues, the problem is often firmware related. Had some very similar problems with IBM T20s and T21s back in the day. IBM was able to provide a BIOS update that fixed it up.
    We all Think Different too.

That was one of the first things I did a few weeks ago. HP support finally said that they couldn't help and that I should visit one of their certified repair shops.

You should get the adress from them and bring it in. Might as well make them fix it, after all. Also, if it's under warrenty still you should be able to make them send Fedex to get it for free.

Sadly, it is not under warranty.

If it's too much to replace the mobo, what's the best way to sell it for parts? eBay?

What about pcmcia to pci cards? Anybody use those?
    It'd be nice to slam the HD and cd-rw into my desktop.

Dont you know any local computer shop where they fix laptops. Most of the small shops with service department should and Id say at least have them look at it, before you sell it for parts.

BTW HP really isnt bad, their NC business line, as I said before is one of the best laptops you can get, but unfortunately SOHO line is nowhere near quality wise.

I basically agree. HP's business line is very solid. Their consumer lines are less so (actually the ones they market under the Compaq name seem better). It's the same thing we saw with desktops a few years ago. Everyone was overjoyed when "Sub $1000" PCs hit the markets. Predictably, quality plummeted with cost.

One example is that in Soho lines from HP, Dell, IBM, and so forth, you DO NOT get to choose who makes you HDD. That typically means Fujitsu, or some other low-cost, low-reliability generic. When I buy 'cheap' laptops for company use I invest in Seagate drives for each, putting the original (always slow, usually unreliable) drive into a USB case for people to use for file transfer. Much bigger than a flash stick and not much more expensive.

Thread Information