Hard shutdown with full battery - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard shutdown with full battery

Please help! Evo N600C power

Hi --- I have an Evo N600C. It worked great, although I usually used the electric power cord. When on battery, it didn't seem to last too long before warning me that the battery is low.

Anyway, I took it to a store to sell it on consignment (money is the issue). They 'tested' it, and now will not boot up, even with the power cord plugged in. The light by the picture of a disk drum lights up. An the picture of a plug flashes. That's all I get -- no further action toward booting up.

Am I mistaken to be angry with the store for 'breaking' something? Might this be something easily fixed?

Please help!

Similar power problem, however...

Its not a comcrap...

Its an emachines m6811

768mb ram, 80 gig hd, ati 9600mobility 64mb

I think its a athlon 3000 64bit

Anyway, when its plugged in here at home lately, specially within the last 2 months, its been shutting off without any warning. On original battery, its fine. When I go to other places and plug in there, it works fine. The frustrating thing is that it wont work fine here at home. All the other computers in the house work fine too on plugged in power. This laptrop is the only 64bit machine tho in household... and I'm wondering if the 64 bit ones need a "better quality" electrical system to be plugged into then the older machines.

I've tried using it on a heavy duty surger I have.. only seems worse...

Help or advice?

Try a line conditioner. Is it being used anywhere particurlarly hot in your house?
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Um, not temperature wise usually...

But if you mean in an area with tons oif other electronics, then I suppose the area could be considered electrically hot or busy since I generally use it an my desktop at the same time... Might need to get a voltage regulator, not sure yet..

Thumbs up The Culprit: USB

Well, at least I assume it is. Read on ...

Generally, I used a PS2 mouse when using this computer. But one fine October day I used the USB mouse I keep with my work computer because it was next to me. I played around on the Evo, looking through more settings and searching the web some for more info about what could be the problem. About two or three hours later, I realized I had been running on battery that whole session - I was floored.

The only difference between that session and all the previous sessions was the use of a USB mouse. To verify it was USB, I tried it again without the mouse and it promptly crashed. I plugged in a USB memory stick and it worked perfectly fine. I tried the PS2 mouse with the USB memory stick and it still worked perfectly fine.

It has been six months since I made that discovery. The Evo works perfectly fine when anything is plugged into either USB slot when running on battery. If we forget to use the USB slot, the computer loses power within five minutes when running on battery. My wife uses the computer almost every day now in cafes and other public spaces, running almost exclusively on battery power. She doesn't have any problems with the computer except for WordPerfect 12 which is a story for software central (moral of the story: you get what you pay for).

For those who might have followed this thread, sorry it has been so long. I'd been meaning to post an update but kept forgetting to. Now my USB discovery and six-month follow-up are in a single post.

Thank you everyone for your help and for the good vibes which helped me luck out and find the proverbial "needle in a haystack" to fix this bug.
    Last edited by geodanny; April 9th, 2006 at 11:21 PM.

Did you try it into safemode (F8 while booting up)....if it does it in safemode then it's most likely a hardware issue....or something with the OS itself.
    1) TravelMate 4002LCi Intel Pentium M 725 Processor 1.6Ghz, 400 Mhz FSB, 2MB L2 cache, 256 DDR, 802.11b/g wireless LAN
    2) Mac TigerX OS - G5

At this point, I'm assuming this may have something to do with heat expanding a joint or connection to a cause power disruption.
    That is probably the cause. This sort of behaviour is typical of that problem. It is the "resoldered dry joints" that you see on an engineer's worksheet/job report.

I am afraid that it needs to go back to the manufacturer or to a decent repair shop where they have the equipment to trace the fault.
    1) TravelMate 4002LCi Intel Pentium M 725 Processor 1.6Ghz, 400 Mhz FSB, 2MB L2 cache, 256 DDR, 802.11b/g wireless LAN
    2) Mac TigerX OS - G5

I have the same problem,
    but it shuts down by itself even on AC Power.

Thread Information