#$*%&@*# Recovery Partitions
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: #$*%&@*# Recovery Partitions

#$*%&@*# Recovery Partitions

Just got a P3 T&L Dell Latitude C400 with a 20G hdd and half of it is used up by a hidden partition. Half is an active primary partition of 10G, half is a primary/extended/logical partition of 9G which i assume is the recovery partition.
    I'll confess to not RTFM yet. The existing install of XP is nicely up to date and has software I'd like to keep. Basically I'd just like to resize the partitions and get the useless part down to about 4 or 5G (used portion is easily within that size) and expand the Win partition up to 14 or 15G. I'll image the drive in any case for backup. Was wondering if I imaged the drive and wiped it if I could reload the OS and recovery portions into differently sized partitions.
    The only time I had to deal with this type of situation previously was a Compaq notebook with a 10G drive and fully a quarter of it or more taken up by the oem partition. I used a utility from the oem to clear that partition and simply loaded the OS on the entire drive. But I don't want to be that rash before I understand all the implications.

Hardware is nice. Tualatin 866, 1G of ram (!), and a wireless card (B/G I think). I think the 15" Toshiba will be staying home soon.

Dell don't ship Latitudes with recovery partitions -- they ship real Windows CDs. There's usually a small diagnostics partition at the start of the drive (20 MB or so), but whatever yours is, it's something else.

If you have something you can use to unhide the partition, have a look at it and see what's in there -- you may not need it at all.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

I was thinking of that myself. My main concern was of doing something like losing the bios, as I've heard of some oems stashing them in partitions. Time for the linux disk. It will boot from the outboard cd with the UBCD in it. The partition shows in XP so I'll try reading it from XP first. I used Ranish from the UBCD to read the partition data.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuttle
    Dell don't ship Latitudes with recovery partitions -- they ship real Windows CDs. There's usually a small diagnostics partition at the start of the drive (20 MB or so), but whatever yours is, it's something else.
    Yeah I agree. If you want to recreate a utility partition, take a look here. If you have trouble accessing that hidden partition get a partition editing tool and mess around with the partition type. Dells utility partitions are usually marked as DE. Changing it to 06 (FAT16) worked for me.
    Main Rig: Intel Pentium D820, Intel DG965RY, Kingston 1.5GB DDR2 @667, Sapphire X850XT 558/600, Samsung 80GB SATAII, ASUS 18X DVD-RW LightScribe SATA, 19" ViewSonic LCD, Wi-Fi

It wasn't a hidden partition, merely a normal split between OS and data. Any Dell partition is gone, when the previous owner replaced 2k with XP. There's only a folder with drivers. Given the small size of the hdd, I'd leave it at a single partition if I were to redo it. It just makes for problems downloading a linux dvd or working with a large iso to have the free space split.

Thread Information