I Need Help
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: I Need Help

Hybrid View

Exclamation I Need Help

Hey guys, I've decided that I want to build a completely new computer from scratch. I have the other stuff such as a monitor, mouse, speakers, and keyboard - now all I'm looking for is the actual computer (tower, hard drive, CD drive, graphics card, processing chip, RAM cards, motherboard, etc).

I have $1200 to spend.

Any advice on what companies I should look at and what companies to stay away from.

Give me some suggestions. Any help would be awesome.
    Last edited by plarson1; September 20th, 2005 at 07:48 PM.

Todd is usually good as such stuff, I am sure he will drop by, but first of all what do you intend to use the computer for?

I take it gaming is your goal, since you've asked in the Gaming forum. What I think you should shoot for might match these specs:

Athlon 64, venice or san diego core
    Nforce4 motherboard
    ATI X800 or NV 6800 or better graphics card (PCI express)
    1GB (2 x 512mb) of low-latency, dual-channel certified RAM
    a quality power supply of at least 350W
    Buy from newegg.com to get the most for your dollar.

Storage and optical drives are a matter of personal preference, IMO, so I don't speak for those.

Obviously, my suggestions above are fairly general, but I recommend getting a nice graphics card, since this will have the biggest impact on gaming performance. As for motherboard brand, search for reviews on the products you are considering. Some other forums out there have threads 10 pages long dedicated to individual motherboard models. It's hard to just go by a manufacturer's name anymore, as all companies seem quite capable of launching a lemon. Antec is a good example. They've had a good reputation for quality for some time, but lately they've had some issues with their power supplies.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Alright, this is what I've come down to:

Motherboard: SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4
    Hard Drive: 80GB 7200 RPM ATA 150 (Western Digital)
    Graphics Card: XFX GeForce 6800GT PCI Express
    Processor: Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
    RAM: 1GB (2 x 512mb)
    Power Supply: 420 W

How is that all sounding to you?

for $1200 you can buy a very high-end system. ive been pricing them lately, and i awalys come up with $1200 so you should be good. also, you already have keyboard and speakers and all that good stuff, so you may even be able to sqeeze a x2 a64 in that budget.

better yet, get 2gigs of ram. neverenoughram

Motherboard--What brand are you looking at? SLI is a point of arguement, as many (myself included) don't see the real value in it for the amount of complication that it might add. Typically a newer, single card solution will be faster than 2 older cards (which must be identical, mind you) in SLI. Just food for thought.

Otherwise, I like what you have so far. The 6800GT is a solid card, and I think it will make your games shine. The 3200+ venice is a good choice too.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

The motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo4/SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA. The link to it is here

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813130492

Another question: Should I get Windows XP Home or XP Pro? I do want gaming, but I also need Word, Excell, and Powerpoint on my system.

I would suggest a larger hardrive. I dont know how but I am using 88 gigs and going up, get at least a 160 gig, I would go for a 200 gig or 250 gig, so you dont have to go upgrading the hardrive soon. Watch www.tigerdirect.com they usually have good deals on hardrives.
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

just my two pence worth, but if you're going to be playing Battlefield 2 then I would definitely get at least 1.5gb of RAM. My total memory usage with BF2 running is 1.3gb (when all the eye candy is turned on). With only 1gb installed, it would stutter constantly as the disk was paging.
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Thread Information