Laptop HDD + External USB Enclosure
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Laptop HDD + External USB Enclosure

Hybrid View

Laptop HDD + External USB Enclosure

My Laptop HDD is slowely dying. It works best on the angle of 45 degrees, and only for like 5 minutes, after that I used to get blue screen with errors on atapi.sys and win something .dll if I tried to restart it after that couple of times, it overheats and doesnt even let WinXP show up. But now its worse, WinXP isnt bootable anymore, gives UNMOUNTABLE error.

So I got external USB 2.5" adapter to try to backup more files. But evertime I connect it, windows dies. First time I pluged it in, it said that HDD was found. But WinXP like froze. And now everytime I connect it, "Safely Remove Hardware" isnt responding, and HDD doesnt show up in My Computer. But if I put it back in Laptop, it boots windows for a minute or so, and then gives blue screen.

My Desktop is P4 1.4/1024MB/128 MB 9200 Radeon/SB Live! 24/ Samsung CD-RW SW-216B/ LG DVD-RW GSA 4040B/ 40 GB Samsung HDD/ 160 GB WD HDD/ WinXP SP2

And laptop HDD is Toshiba MK4025GAS + Nspire 2.5" USB 2 Enclosure.

Does windows tries to read all the files while USBing the HDD or something? I dont understand why Laptop recognizes it, but Desktop freezes thru USB. :/

Any help is appreciated, thx!

If you have the type of enclosure that uses 2 USB cables to power the drive, perhaps the laptop can't supply enough power through its USB ports.
    If you have a desktop, a better method might be to purchase a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter and connect your laptop drive as a slave to copy over the files. The adapters are cheap -- I paid $10Cdn.

Have you tried hooking this adapter up to a desktop machine?
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

You might want to try another USB port on your desktop. In addition, I believe that the laptop's hard drive inside the enclosure probably should be jumpered as a master? Is it?

THanks for your replys guys.
    Im using USB adapter on Desktop with 2 USB cables HDD-----<==Desktop
    So power is not a problem.

Ok, after like 5 minutes of waiting, HDD shows up on My Computer. But I have 2 logical drives, I:\ and J:\, and J:\ is accessible, but I:\ isnt not isnt that nice.

No I didnt try adapter, I have no time to go to a computer store. And I hope not to waste another 10 bucks.

Now what Im thinking is to make DOS CD, boot it on my laptop, and copy needed files to J:\
    Hmmm how do I make bootable DOS CD, Ill think about it when I come back from work :s

If you have Nero, a win98 boot floppy, and a bootable CD (like winXP), you should be able to make a bootable DOS disk. When in Nero, make a "Bootable CD" and reference the bootable CD for the boot image, then copy the win98 floppy's contents onto the CD. Once completed, you should be able to boot to DOS like you had a Win98 floppy drive. I can't seem to find my copy, or I'd just provide you with an ISO.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

I recall issues about lack of DOS support for USB.

I've printed to USB printers through DOS. Something like:

:\copy {path}printme.prn USB1
    We all Think Different too.

No need for USB support, I just need to copy from 1 partition to another. Thanks ThreeOnTheTree, Ill try to make it in the morning.

Great... new things just keep comming up.

So now I got the first Bootable DOS .iso I could find. Burned it. Ran it on the laptop with HDD in IDE. What what do you know. How I can see the C:\ (which is I:\ on Desktop thru USB) but I cant see D:\ (The second partition that I accessed on the Desktop=J:\). My HDD was broken into 2 partitions, I think I mentioned that before. WTF! ARR!

Why doesnt it want to see 2nd partition. As far as I remember, they are both in NTFS, and even if the 2nd one is FAT32, it should show up anyways... :x

I can browse the C: drive in DOS on the laptop, which doesnt wanna work thru USB on the Desktop.

-There are drivers for USB to run on DOS, but I bet USB Adapter in DOS will have the same freezing reaction which WinXP has right now.

Thread Information