Optware to Release 30 GB Holographic Card for Less than $1 at the End of 2006
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Optware to Release 30 GB Holographic Card for Less than $1 at the End of 2006

Optware to Release 30 GB Holographic Card for Less than $1 at the End of 2006

I know virtually nothing about this technology except for the fact that I really want one!

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...86/?ST=english

That does look awesome - wonder what read/write speeds are like on that thing. I wonder how easy it will be to turn one of those things portable.

Nick
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

from the reading it says they actually made it larger so it would be about the same size as a credit card, which is more convienent. sounds like there is a lot of headroom in this technology. im guessing reliability and speed will determine is these replace regular drives, at least before crystal drives do

Reminds me of the old TurboGraphics 16 console's game cards. These could prove to be viable tape backup replacements. I can't wait for the day when I don't have to deal with customers' sh*tty SCSI tape drives at work.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

I want one too and then I want someone from Godfather to make every single manufacturer of electronics offer they can not refuse.
    So I dont have to deal with DVD-RW,DVD+RW,RS-MMC,secure digital,MMC,USB disk, did I forget anything and every single one having its special use

http://www.optware.co.jp/english/what_040823.htm

Holographic recording technology records data on discs in the form of laser interference fringes, enabling existing discs the same size as today's DVDs to store as much as one terabyte of data (200 times the capacity of a single layer DVD), with a transfer speed of one gigabyte per second (40 times the speed of DVD). This approach is rapidly gaining attention as a high-capacity, high-speed data storage technology for the age of broadband.
    speed of light baby
    Last edited by krupted; September 18th, 2005 at 07:54 PM.

Very nice... I've been hearing about this tech for the last 10 years. It's exciting to see it so close to real production.

I AM anxious to see how durable the media is, though.
    We all Think Different too.

yeah, its hard to imagine its that good. if it was wouldnt almost seem like these should replace harddrives? at the very least the reliability cant be that great...

Still all the media I mentioned above would be worth replacing with this, at least for me, since they are really used more or less for data transfer.
    If the reliability proofs to be such an issue, then Id stay with rs-MMC (mobile phone add on card), but the rest could esily do with some hickups along the way.

Thread Information