Adding new harddrive
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Adding new harddrive

Adding new harddrive

I need a bit of info to add an additional harddrive. Total of three and two dvd player writers. (only one writer)
    I've been looking at pci raid cards to add the additional harddrive, but I'm not sure which is best?
    I recently purchased an Asus A7N8X-E DELUXE with two sata ports raid. I'm not sure I can make these work with my three pata ide drives. Is that possible?
    Anyway looking for suggestions and or a place to read up on any of the above questions.

Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. nVidia-nForce2
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F7 08/02/2004

LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S [CD-ROM drive]
    TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-M1802 [CD-ROM drive]

WDC WD600BB-00CJA1 [Hard drive] (60.02 GB) -- drive 1
    WDC WD600BB-00DKA0 [Hard drive] (60.01 GB) -- drive 0 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A1' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A2' is Empty

NVIDIA NForce 2(tm) SPP/IGP ATA Controller RADEON 9600 SERIES [Display adapter]

U.S. Robotics V92 Fax PCI [Modem]

Well I guess my question doesn't qualify for a reply.
    I've already looked through the archives for info, nothing specific to my needs.
    I just need a suggestion for a raid card for my setup that I have posted.

Do you have the 3rd drive allready, if not, why not get SATA drive instead.
    If however you allready have the 3rd IDE drive, then more or less any IDE/RAID card will do, just check FAQs for the card you intend to buy beforehand, so there are no issues with the motherboard you have.

Alternatively link to some of the cards you were looking at and someone around here might know something about them.

BTW you got no reply, because more or less you have your problem solved and buying IDE card really is no brain surgery, especially and I am guessing here, since you dont seem to be overly interested in the speed of the HDD.

Oh and last but not least even if you allready have the 3rd IDE drive, it might work out cheaper for you to sell it and get SATA drive instead, as opposed to buying additional IDE/RAID card and keeping the IDE drive.
    In doing so you avoid possible IRQ issues as well.

and welcome to HWC
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; September 18th, 2005 at 06:18 PM.

Yes I have the drive already. I chose the Maxtor with the 16mb buffer 200GB. I've read a few reviews about the Sata hookup, most are saying I won't get that much of a boost.
    I always like to get opinions on which Raid card is best or has the best tranfer rates. I was just concerned with the through put of the pci slot. Been a while since I've been up to date on all the hardware data rates.
    Thanks for your reply Mr Falcon (under score between letters) Chuckle!

I notice you have the AMD 64, I can only dream of having one of those.
    Way to much money for me to delv out of my pension.

if u had two ide drives and the third was sata, you could have gone the software raid route.

but as you have 3 ide's, you will have to buy a pci ide card. the throughput is that the same as the onboard ide channels, you wont notice a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangolf
    ... I was just concerned with the through put of the pci slot ....
    No difference to onboard IDE and way more then the HHD needs, as far as I know, anyway.
    Maybe go with Promise for quality, but really it has been awhile since I bought IDE card, I usually just use what motherboard offers me.
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; September 19th, 2005 at 04:50 PM.

Thread Information