What phone to get with Nextel? - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What phone to get with Nextel?

i dont think their patents expried, because nobody else is using the direct connect technology. verison develpoed ptt on thier own, hence the reason it took so long for it to come out, and why it doesnt work as good.

im sure itll be a long time before nextel lets go of the patent, how long has polaroid had theirs now? its been like 30 years!

I'm not sure what copyrights Nextel lost on 2-way radio phones recently, but they did lose something. I remember our Nextel rep (who sells more than just nextel) telling me about it when verizon started their PTT system. He also was explaining how hard it was going to be for a startup company to gain customers, since Nextel had such a large customer base and that the networks aren't compatible. I would imagine that eventually Big Brother (maybe the FCC) will step in and force a compatible standard. I don't see Nextel/Sprint being allowed to hold the rights to that tech indefinitely. It just doesn't seem to be the way the communications business works.

yeah i see your point, the fcc usually does rear its ugly head and does what it wants.

they probably lost the 'idea' of direct connect, meaning using a cellular phone system to instantly 2-way another member across the country. verizon just had to come up with a way to do it differently.

I still think sprint/nextel will hold on the to technology, i mean really how long has it been that poloroid has been the only one allowed to make instant film? i keep hearing thier patents are going to exprie but i think they get extensions or something...

I suppose, but this is the communications industry, where compatible standards are really necessary. Just think what it would be like if the PC industry didn't collaborate to make 802.11x! It's nice to be able to reach anyone in the country with a 10 digit number, and I think soon enough, 2-way will be the same way. For one example, Nextel phones are very popular with emergency response groups. I know that during storm restoration, that 2-way feature pays for itself many times.

Not sure why polariod gets to keep their patent. Maybe because it's old technology and is grandfathered in. Maybe it's because it's not communications based. It's not like it matters much anymore, what with digital cameras an all.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

youre probably right, usually patents are thrown to the wind when government is involved. I do see the difference between cameras and communication, we dont really need cameras around

actually i was reading up and i guess polaroid has hundreds of patents on instant film. I guess in other parts of the world other companies make it just not in america. still mind-boggling they held onto them after 50+ years now.

a compatible 2-way cell system across the board would help the communications industry, but probably not nextel alone so im sure they will fight for it till the death. but i could easily see the fcc sayin "nope! i think the government will just take that money eh heh heh heh"

Thread Information