Working PS/2 to serial mouse adaptor or ideal data switch
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Working PS/2 to serial mouse adaptor or ideal data switch

Working PS/2 to serial mouse adaptor or ideal data switch

Hello, everyone. I need your experience and knowledge on the following issue.

I am looking for a working PS/2 to serial mouse adaptor, with no luck.
    To make things worse I've bought several items that claim to be what I am
    looking for and working but with no success - they'll just won't work.

Has anyone personally seen a working adaptor like the one I am using?

I intend to use this so I can use two PC's with one monitor and one keyboard and one mouse. A newer one that has PS/2 sockets for both keyboard and mouse and an older one that has a 9-pin socket for the keyboard and a serial mouse socket, and as you might arleady guessed I have a working PS/2 to 9-pin adaptor so there is no trouble with the keyboard.

The problem is that my data switch has only PS/2 sockets so either I need to find a working adaptor to have my job done with my current data switch or get a data switch that has this problem foreseen and hence, solved.

So, alternativelly you can suggest this ideal data switch.

Your help will be deeply appreciated, thanks in advance!

Have you tried the adaptor on a different mouse? Some models cannot work with an adaptor.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

"Borrowed" from PCGuide.com

I have a PS/2-style mouse that I want to use on a serial port but it doesn't work when I use an adapter to convert it from the PS/2 6-pin mini-DIN connector to the 9-pin serial connector

Explanation: You have a mouse with a PS/2-style 6-pin mini-DIN connector for connecting to the PS/2 mouse port. You want to be able to use this mouse as a standard serial mouse so you connected it to an adapter that takes a 6-pin round mouse and converts it to a standard 9-pin DB9 serial connector. However, the mouse does not work when connected this way.

Diagnosis: The problem is that the PS/2-style mouse and the serial mouse are not just different in terms of the connectors they use, they are different electrically as well. The signaling levels are different, so just using an adapter will not always work. What complicates the matter so much is that there are some mice that are called "combo" mice, which will automatically use either the PS/2 or the serial signaling depending on what sort of system they are plugged into. This type of mouse, when used with an adapter of the sort mentioned above, will work in a serial port. However, not all PS/2-style mice are combo mice, and this is what causes all the confusion. To make matters worse, most mice do not have printed on them whether they are "combo" or not, and sometimes even the documentation is not very helpful. (Buying a mouse with a PS/2 port that comes with a PS/2-to-serial adapter is a good hint that it is combo, of course!)

Recommendation:

* Check the instructions that come with your mouse to find out if it is a combo mouse. If it is, then it should work with the adapter. Make sure the adapter is tightly fitted to the connector and that there are no bent pins or other physical issues. If the problem persists, troubleshoot the mouse more generally here.
    * If you don't have a real combo mouse, or aren't sure if you do or not, then try borrowing one from another PC and see if it works instead. If it does, then your mouse probably isn't a combo and you will need to purchase another that is (or just purchase a straight serial mouse, really, if that is what you want). If the other mouse doesn't work, then you either borrowed another one that isn't a combo, or you need to troubleshoot your mouse setup more generally.
    Basically, do what Rat said

t-man
    A64 3500+
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    Antec 480W Trupower II
    2 X Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT
    PNY 6800GT
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Plextor PX-716SA DVD/CD burner
    Memorex 52X CD reader
    Western Digital 300GB IDE
    Maxtor 300GBSATA
    Seagate 300GB SATA
    W2K Pro

Loks like I may have got it backwards... but the solution still applies.

t-man
    A64 3500+
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    Antec 480W Trupower II
    2 X Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT
    PNY 6800GT
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Plextor PX-716SA DVD/CD burner
    Memorex 52X CD reader
    Western Digital 300GB IDE
    Maxtor 300GBSATA
    Seagate 300GB SATA
    W2K Pro

Well, fortunatelly I happened to have bought a Logitech combo mouse and the great part of the story is, that I was always wondering why it's called a combo mouse.

Maybe I will start search a big pile of usefull retro technology stuff I have (in short: junk) and as soon as I will find I will brief you on what happened.

But now I recall this mouse has a ball inside and I thought I got away from those.

Do you think there is any chance that someone in this world would have invented a nice combo optical PS/2 mouse? I hope there is one!

Thread Information