Maxtor HDD installation
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Maxtor HDD installation

Maxtor HDD installation

I have a new Maxtor HDD 120GB and have some how managed to partition it to a Primary partition, 8025 Mb which is only 16% of the drive. I did this using Maxblast a year ago, when trying to put HDD in a computer that had maximum Hdd capability of 8.5 GB. I have tried to delete the partition using fdisk and when I get ready to delete it fdisk asks for the volume label. I've tried C, PRI DOS, and several other entries but none are the correct volume label. Fdisk does not show any other disk partitions on drive. How do I find out what the volume label is for this primary partition? Thanks Foz

I intend to put windows 98se on drive if I can get it partitioned. This is to be a childen's play computer.

I don't have FDISK in front of me to look at, but the volume label is the name you assigned the drive when you last formatted it. I think it actually shows you the volume label when you are in the process of deleting it. If there is no name for the volume you wish to delete, then I think you simply don't enter anything. The only reason FDISK asks you for the volume label is to confirm that you indeed want to delete the volume.

ThreeOnTheTree, Thanks, you are right, I kept trying to put C, D, or something in for the volume label, and when I hit enter without putting anything in it deleted the partition. Thanks Again, Foz

I also have to install some drivers for my motherboard. The chipset drivers, audio drivers, and video drivers. The audio and video ports are intergrated in the motherboard. My question is do I delete the drivers that were installed when I installed Windows 98se before trying to install the Biostar M/B drivers. I know how to do this in device manager, but I'm not sure where the chipset drivers are if Windows installed any? Thanks for your help. Foz
    Last edited by Fozj; August 31st, 2005 at 08:58 PM.

If you're just replacing the old primary drive and installing the same OS, use MaxBlast Drive Copy to copy your old disk image to the new one, then you won't have to worry about the drivers at all.

You can just install the new drivers over the top of whatever Windows defaulted with.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Get the file called "part243.exe" from Ranish Partition Manager's zip (free on te net), put it on your boot floppy and use it to delete/make your partitions, it's far more powerfull than fdisk.exe.
    Looking intelligent takes more than looking coool.

Thread Information