replacing cd/dvd writer?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: replacing cd/dvd writer?

replacing cd/dvd writer?

I am new to this forum and am not sure if this is the right place to ask the following question but I'll take my chances. My cd/dvd writer in my computer needs to be replaced. I am going to order one and need to know if they are generic or there are certain specs I need to consider. My computer is a 3 year old VPR Matrix w/XP. Any guidance would be welcome. Thanks.

Welcome to HWC shinyshell

LiteOn Good price, middle of the road drive.

Plextor PX 716A Good drive, a littly pricy. Probably my next drive.

I do not know that the specs are for your 3 year old computer but just about anything you stick in it should work.

Check the old drive's jumper settings and match the new drive. (If Cable Select on old drive, set new drive to CS)

Ground yourself on the chassie and then unplug the power cable from computer before disassembly. Likely little more that removing the sides to access the screws holding the drive in.

The power and IDE cables are keyed. They should only connect one way. Look for the block and allign to the drive.

Recheck all cable connections before closing up the case.

this sounds like an oem box. look and see if the current drive have a regular faceplate (flat face) or does it have a custom faceplate or a faceless unit sitting behind a built-in face on the case. if it is not a regular faceplate type, you will have to mount the new drive in an emthy drive bay or modify the new drive or case.

just look at the vpr matrix and all model seems to have standard case with regular drive bays. so you should not have any problem when you mount the new drive.

Thread Information