It's out! Unofficial SP5 for Win 2000
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's out! Unofficial SP5 for Win 2000

It's out! Unofficial SP5 for Win 2000

edit: I think it is now available at Softpedia and MajorGeeks and on BitTorrent. The wills downloads site was over its monthly bandwidth quota and thus offline. Suggest using the other sites, or torrents.

Gurgelmeyer has finally finished it.

Windows 2000 "Hotstream" subforum at MSFN Forums

An Option Pack will be coming eventually with extras such as IE SP1 integrated into the SP5.
    Option Pack Basic USP 5.1 now available here at Major Geeks. and here at Softpedia

This service pack apparently includes many bits, all from M$, that you will not get from the regular Win Update process. It also is supposed to install cleaner overall than M$' hodgepodge of files, probably because one person, a perfectionist, sorted them all out.

Yes, it can be slipstreamed. Read the later pages of the thread at MSFN for reports of results with nLite.

Win2k lovers, enjoy!
    Last edited by DanceMan; January 6th, 2006 at 01:47 AM.

One note to add: if you have a download manager active, disable it to use the Will's Downloads site. You won't be able to download the file with an active DL manager. I disabled Integration in Fresh Download on my daughter's computer to download RC3. Still waiting to get the Final myself.
    Last edited by DanceMan; November 7th, 2005 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks for the heads up DanceMan.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Right after I switch to Windows XP
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

Anyone tried slipstreaming it yet?

Comments?
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma
    Anyone tried slipstreaming it yet?

Comments?
    Several users posting in the thread at MSFN Forums have slipstreamed it using nLite. I think they did it as a service pack, but details are in the thread.
    There will be a USP 5.01 out in a while with the Aug hotfixes in. It will include M$ hotfixes that are not included in the new updated M$ update rollup pack.

I may be able to report personally on this in about a week.
    Last edited by DanceMan; August 27th, 2005 at 06:42 PM.

[Update]

So far, appears to be questionable.

Manual slipstream attempts resulted in basically Service Pack 4 integrated...
    But that was already available from a looong time ago.

Windows Update still displays Rollup1, KB842773 and KB896727 still being required.

Taken from the download:
    Unofficial SP5 includes all of the updates that were contained in Service Pack 1 (SP1), Service Pack 2 (SP2), Service Pack 3 (SP3), and Service Pack 4 (SP4) for Windows 2000. Installing only Unofficial SP5 provides you with all of the previous Windows 2000 updates.
    No mentions/references of post SP4 hotfixes and/or Rollup1 being included...
    Wandered around his website,
    No detailed information on unofficial SP5 either.
    Clicking on his Hotstream, Win2K, Win2K, Unoffical SP5, Archives and About links, does not provide any relevent information.

If that is the situation,
    For business scenario,
    Sticking with the official Service Pack 4 should be sufficient and officially supported by Microsoft, if/when required.

*shrug*
    I may simply be doing it incorrectly but then, considering there are next to no step by step instructions at that forum, or it's somewhere in the long thread, anyone's guess is as good as mine.

P.S. Did see the nLite thread but not a fan of .NET, stated as being required and that size alone is listed as 23 MB!
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Talking about NLite, a new Beta is out since thursday.
    + you don't need to install .NET as they provide an alternative (4MB instead and no install) in the download section.
    As for SP5, why would they call it SP5 if it really was SP4 (which also "includes" SP4 and all previous updates) ?
    Looking intelligent takes more than looking coool.

So far, appears to be questionable.

Manual slipstream attempts resulted in basically Service Pack 4 integrated...
    But that was already available from a looong time ago.

Windows Update still displays Rollup1, KB842773 and KB896727 still being required.
    He couldn't make the system "think" it was SP5, otherwise Windows Update no longer worked. Think about it, if the system said it was SP5 how would you ever update it from Microsoft if SP5 doesn't actually exist?

The SP5 pack has modifications to some of the files that came with the rollup. For example, Microsoft screwed up with the HAL.dll in the rollup and essentially disabled idle throttling on Pentium4 processors so they run at full bore and termperature even when idle. SP5 uses a different DLL where the problem doesn't exist.

But yes there still are bugs in the SP5, I just hope they are addressed.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

I don't really care if it is labelled "SP5" or "purple polka dot pink hippo",
    I can understand KB842773 and KB896727 being required since they are fairly recent
    But I thought the whole purpose of the exercise was to integrate the post SP4 hotfixes and Rollup1?
    Or it is already integrated but Windows Update fails to recognize it?
    Programming is not my forte...

Anyone?
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

The modifications made to some of the DLLs cause Windows Update to think the that rollup is not installed when it actually is.

Excellent!
    Anyone verify as to which ones or all of those contained in Rollup1?
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I only know of the HAL.DLL replacement in order to fix P4 throttling. There is some mention of DRM in the thread too. All I know is that after a weekend of perfecting my Win2k unattended disk (including slipstreaming Windows Installer 3.1 and the BITS 2.0 update), I only have 8 hotfixes to install at Windows Update. Most of the hotfixes that show up at Windows Update are for Internet Explorer 6. The remaining updates, which (falsely) include the Windows rollup are minor and not really necessary such as the Malicious Software Removal tool. If you don;t use IE6 at all, then there really isn't any need to get anything from Windows Update at all.

Thanks for the feedback wrathchild_67.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

The Hotstream project, the Unofficial Service Pack 5, now has its own forum at MSFN. Link.

from Gurgelmeyer:
    The USP's are fully cumulative, which means that they contain everything from Service Pack 4.

USP 5.0 contains all hotfixes for Windows (all that I know of) and for the built in versions of IE/OE/DX etc.

- Version 5.0 "Gold" (build 10) - released; contains ~350 hotfixes and security fixes
    - Version 5.0 Service Release 1 (build 11); just about to .zip it; contains >400 hotfixes and security fixes; corrects several registry bugs from SP4

USP 5.1 contains everything from USP 5.0 and IE6/OE6/WAB6/SE56/MSI31/BITS2 and all hotfixes and security updates for those. It will also support >127 GB IDE drives from text mode setup and onwards.

- Version 5.1 Basic Edition - work in progress; will contain all of the above
    - Version 5.1 Standard Edition - will contain all of the above + NETFX11 + DX9 + MDAC27SP1 refresh (and all hotfixes for those of course)
    - Version 5.1 Extreme Edition - will contain just about everything which is available for W2k at no charge from microsoft.com, including all of the above

No third party applications/tools/executables are planned for the USP's.

About MSJVM3810, I'll wrap this up as a hotfix when I get the time.
    I think it is now available at Softpedia and MajorGeeks and on BitTorrent.

"Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 (KB891861), Why does it still show up on WU?"

again, from Gurgelmeyer:
    First of all, the MS URP1 IS in fact included in the USPs. So are the fixes for the problems that it introduces.

However, Microsoft chose to add a new kernel mode (!!) driver to W2K in the MS URP1. This file system filter driver has never been part on W2K in the first place. Its main purpose is to intercept file access on behalf of DRM systems, although it can be (ab)used for just about any purpose. My opinion is, that introducing a new kernel mode driver less than 3 DAYS before mainstream support is ended is a very bad idea, so I've chosen not to include it in the USPs. WUv6 detects that this filter driver is not present on your system, and that is exactly why MS URP1 shows up. I've deliberately chosen not to attempt to suppress the MSURP1 on WU, because I think you should have the option to install this filter driver if you want it.

Hope that explains stuff - maybe I'll include it in USP 5.1 and just leave it disabled by default - donno.
    Last edited by DanceMan; October 27th, 2005 at 04:26 AM.

Thread Information