converting standard coax cable to ethernet (rj45)... is it possible
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: converting standard coax cable to ethernet (rj45)... is it possible

converting standard coax cable to ethernet (rj45)... is it possible

is it possible to take an existing coaxial type cable/outlet and convert the both ends to (rj45) ethernet-type connections?? the idiot who wired the room downstairs thought when i said "cable internet" that each computer (4 of them) was gonna have a cable modem (numskull!!! ) and thus placed cable outlets (4 of them) there rather than rj45 outlets.

i want to keep the rooms connected to the house ethernet via "hardwire" . i really don't like wireless, and also do not want to rip out the drywall to change the wiring system, but i might have too....

anyone with thoughts on this conversion possibility
    The Truth Is Out There....Trust No One

WinXP home SP3
    Abit KV7V w/AMD2900+
    512RAM
    400watt PS
    ATI x1650pro 512meg AGP
    Zonealarm
    Avast antivirus

Here is a PCI network card with BNC connection for coax, and you might be able to find a hub or switch with both BNC and standard RJ 45 outputs at a used computer parts store, for cheap. The transfer speed won't be dynamic, but you can probably pick it up with no problem, and it will use the coax, provided you can access both ends (the end in the room downstairs, and the other end to connect to the network.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

UGgh, just noticed the 4 comment. Since Coax needed in and out, that'll make this a lot harder. Still possible, but you'll need more hubs<g>. Can you get to a crawl space and pull the coax out a little at a time, and tape on CAT5 to the end? USe the coax as a pull wire? Or did he use staples inside the walls? Just wondering

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

i'm pretty sure the dork stapled the coax cable onto the studs

WinXP home SP3
    Abit KV7V w/AMD2900+
    512RAM
    400watt PS
    ATI x1650pro 512meg AGP
    Zonealarm
    Avast antivirus

Well, I've been searching for adapters, and I came up with this, and this. I wasn't using the right search terms earlier. You'll probably need 6 of these to link all the coax runs you're talking about, plus BNC T adapters and the right terminators.

The coax in your walls is probably 75-ohm RG59 or RG6, suitable for RF transmission. It doesn't work as well as 50-ohm RG58 -- the standard coax for 10Base2 -- for networking installations (it can be used, it's just not as stable).

Normally, coax is installed in straight line, that is, starting from the source connection at the hub/switch/media converter, then through "T" fittings installed on each NIC (one side "in", the other "out"), with the terminator installed on the last T. Obviously, that is not an option here if your coax is run from a common originating point, and since the "T" must be installed on the NIC, it doesn't seem you have much choice but to install twisted pair cable like cat5, unless you want to buy four media converters (one for each PC), which can add up. Even then, there's no guarantee that the video coax will behave properly.

thanks.. i'll look up some pricing... looks expensive for the lot ... maybe more than ripping out the drywall and refeeding.

WinXP home SP3
    Abit KV7V w/AMD2900+
    512RAM
    400watt PS
    ATI x1650pro 512meg AGP
    Zonealarm
    Avast antivirus

dude i hope you didn't pay that dude for that install.anyway just a suggestion i can do the install for you since you live like 20 mins from me.

nelson,

what kinda of install are u recommending?? love to hear some suggestions.

WinXP home SP3
    Abit KV7V w/AMD2900+
    512RAM
    400watt PS
    ATI x1650pro 512meg AGP
    Zonealarm
    Avast antivirus

you want cat 5e ran to the rooms i could hook you up.I usually do commercial and govt work but i don't mind doin side work.depending on what you wanted it might cost next to nothing.if he's got coax already ran to the rooms i could use that to pull in cat 5e without tearing out the walls plus i could leave you the coax for cable drops.It really would be easy give or take depending on the house and how many drops we're talking about.

let me ask you this.did they give you a main coax line that comes off the first splinter from where the coax enters your house.If not and he daisey chained them and you have multiple tv's and splitters before that coax reaches your modem your gonna more than likely have problems.

the coax lines look to be separate coming into the junction box.... i think the coax are STAPLED to the wood studs though... would make for a difficult pull, if the plan was to attach the cat5 to the coax and then pull the cables through that way..

the setup is in the basement, which is gonna be the SOHO setup, having 4 computers and a fax station.. ... there are no access/crawl spaces to be had.. i'm kinda at a loss

WinXP home SP3
    Abit KV7V w/AMD2900+
    512RAM
    400watt PS
    ATI x1650pro 512meg AGP
    Zonealarm
    Avast antivirus

how did they run though coax then.there's always a way.might take a little enginuity but it's got to be possible.worst possible case scenario would be to use panduit which is basicly a plastic raceway the cables sit inside that you sticky to the wall.It's not to much of an eye sore.there are lots of possiblities that probally won't be high cost or require ripping out drywall but it's hard for me to say without seeing it.email me if you need help with anything.

Thread Information