Getting a laptop for my main (and ONLY) computer
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Getting a laptop for my main (and ONLY) computer

Getting a laptop for my main (and ONLY) computer

I currently have a desktop and Dell D600 laptop. I also have a Dell Axim x3i PDA and I feel like I have too many things so I'm deciding on selling both laptop and desktop computers and getting a good laptop to replace both as a portable and desk PC. I want to keep my PDA for portable MP3 player and such since I have a 1GB SD card.

Here's my current setup on my desktop.

AMD Barton XP 2500+ (overclocked to a stable 3200+ at 400mhz FSB)
    Shuttle AN35-Ultra nForce2 Motherboard
    80gb Samsung 7200RPM 2MB Cache HD
    Made by ATi Radeon 9800PRO 128MB
    512mb PC3200 and 256mb PC2100 RAM. Not sure of the brand. Cheap though.
    3.5 inch 12-in-1 flash card reader plus 1 USB 2.0
    4 extra USB 2.0 through PCI slots
    Memorex Double Layer 16x DVD +/-RW
    Maybe add my 17" Polyview LCD if I get a laptop with a big screen.

The D600 specs are as follows:

Pentium M 1.4ghz
    512mb DDR PC2700?
    40GB 5200RPM drive (white label)
    14.1 SXGA LCD
    AC Adapter
    Good battery

So, how much do you guys reckon I could sell these two computers for and what laptop (used, new, refurbished) I could buy with the estimated amount of money? Also, I would like this to be a sub-par gaming machine, as well. Maybe, it can have a graphics card close to the performance of the 9800PRO. I'm not looking for something ultra-portable or anything like that. I mostly would have it as a desktop computer and take it on a trip when needed.

I've looked on eBay and I'm considering the Dell Inspiron 6000D with the Radeon x300 card. Anyone else object with this?

edit: Don't mind my signature specs. I haven't updated it since a year ago.
    Last edited by DumplingMastaB; March 31st, 2006 at 09:31 PM.

They discontinued the Inspiron 6000's.

Take a look at the Inspiron E1705, Core Duo CPU and Optional Radeon 256mb X1400. 17" Screen too.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson
    They discontinued the Inspiron 6000's.

Take a look at the Inspiron E1705, Core Duo CPU and Optional Radeon 256mb X1400. 17" Screen too.

Well, I looked on eBay and found some for 900+ US dollars. Thanks for the suggestion, but will I be able to afford it if I theorectically sell both computers? I'm not really looking for something fairly new. Maybe, a laptop with the same specs as my desktop will do.

Quote Originally Posted by DumplingMastaB
    Well, I looked on eBay and found some for 900+ US dollars. Thanks for the suggestion, but will I be able to afford it if I theorectically sell both computers? I'm not really looking for something fairly new. Maybe, a laptop with the same specs as my desktop will do.

My question is why would you want to buy a laptop that would already be out of date when that would be replacing both of your current computers?

Buying a Laptop somewhat equal to your current Desktop specs?

Why would you want something that slow? (Laptops are generally slower than the Desktop with the Same CPU speed)

You said something about a Large Screen Laptop (17" maybe)..... The 6000D only has a 15.4" screen.

I think you would be better off keeping what you have now rather than getting a Inspron 6000D. Or at worst just sell your current laptop and upgrade your desktop machine.

The Insprion 6000D really isn't that great of a machine compared to others in the Dell lineup, or even the 5160 that it replaced.

I would never buy a laptop off EBAY, too many horror stories about DOA machines and others with problems.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson
    My question is why would you want to buy a laptop that would already be out of date when that would be replacing both of your current computers?
    I just think I have too many things right now. Just want to minimize my hardware to a computer and my PDA. I always buy out-of-date hardware. I don't usually go out and buy the latest computer and such. My desktop and laptop are several years old but they can do what I need it to do without emptying my wallet/

Buying a Laptop somewhat equal to your current Desktop specs?

Why would you want something that slow? (Laptops are generally slower than the Desktop with the Same CPU speed)
    Well, I really don't care if it's a tad slower than my desktop. All I really want to do is surf, chat, play some games, and code HTML. I'm sure a laptop can fulfill those needs.

You said something about a Large Screen Laptop (17" maybe)..... The 6000D only has a 15.4" screen.
    Well, I was asking you guys to suggest a laptop with a 17" LCD. I just found the 6000D suitable for my situation, but I guess I you persuade me to think otherwise.

I think you would be better off keeping what you have now rather than getting a Inspron 6000D. Or at worst just sell your current laptop and upgrade your desktop machine.
    My laptop screen is too small and quite slow compared to my desktop so I won't be keeping it for long. I use my desktop more than my laptop so it's just sitting there most of the time, so I would just like to get a faster laptop to replace both without having another computer sitting there, collect dust 80% of the time.

See, if I sell my laptop and upgrade my desktop, then I wouldn't have a portable PC, which, I was aiming for. I would rather have a laptop with the same specs as my desktop and just bring it along whenever I need it on the road, where as, a faster desktop, I can only use it at home.

The Insprion 6000D really isn't that great of a machine compared to others in the Dell lineup, or even the 5160 that it replaced.
    Yeah, I was looking at the XPS models and they have better stats. I'm still looking though.

I would never buy a laptop off EBAY, too many horror stories about DOA machines and others with problems.
    To be honest, I got my D600 for $500 w/shipping from eBay. Works great, had no problems with it at all. I got it for college but it looks like I won't be needing it as much as I thought I would.
    Last edited by DumplingMastaB; April 1st, 2006 at 01:47 AM.

How about the Compaq/HP X6000?

OK, I just recently stumbled over the Gateway M680. The specs are as follows...

Pentium M 2.1Ghz 2MB Cache
    60 GB 7200RPM
    512MB DDR2 533 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GO 6800
    17.1-inch Widescreen WSXGA

Would this laptop, let's say, "smoke" my current desktop?

Yes that would be a nice machine performance wise.

Quote Originally Posted by DumplingMastaB
    ... Would this laptop, let's say, "smoke" my current desktop?
    No.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information